Help needed with my memory -PLEASE!

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Help needed with my memory -PLEASE!

Post by barr7430 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:07 am

I am doing a bit of work an a piece at the moment and am having trouble finding what I am looking for. I remember a television programme hosted by Eddie Mair (yes he of Radio 4 - Today fame and savager of Big Boris) which was about wargaming/battles. Now I know you are all going to jump in and say.. TIME COMMANDERS but I seem to remember this being far less 'up to date' than Time Commanders. I am sure Paddy Griffiths appeared on it as a commentator in some kind of home knitted multi coloured jumper and was moving painted blocks of wood a la Kriegspiel around whilst Mr Mair gently took the piss out of him. Now I thought the prog was about Edgehill or Naseby or something not ancient battles.

Have I developed early stage Alzheimers or am I on the right track???? Help me out chaps :(
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Emir of Askaristan
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Help needed with my memory -PLEASE!

Post by Emir of Askaristan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:24 am

I believe you are confusing Time Commander which made use of computer gaming similar to the "Total War" series of PC games with the Angela Rippon hosted Game of War on ITV.

Paddy Griffiths was the umpire for this which did indeed feature blocks of wood being moved around and teams of players deciding orders etc from other rooms. I can't remember all the episodes, but Waterloo was certainly one of them. The French won.

:D

Hope that helped a bit!
All the Best

The Emir
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:38 am

It wasn't the best advertisement for the hobby...

http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Game_of_War
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:02 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:10 pm

I always thought that the basic idea behind this was fine. It just was not very exciting!
I remember that only what your general could see was updated and the rest of the map was left static.
One of the commanders, I think it was in the ECW scenario was dead chuffed as his cavalry had routed the opposition. The look on his face was a crackerwhen they updated the rest of the battle line and all of the rest of his army had broken!!
Enjoy your travels Barry. Will we see you at Falkirk?
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:25 pm

Thanks chaps... you were bang on the money.. I had gotten Eddie Mair mixed up in my head with Angela Rippon:shock:

Yes Jim see you at Falkirk... by then Toggy will be a fully fledged Jock as he is moving to Kirkmuirhill on Wednesday!!!!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:47 pm

barr7430 wrote: Yes Jim see you at Falkirk... by then Toggy will be a fully fledged Jock as he is moving to Kirkmuirhill on Wednesday!!!!
Now if we could only persuade the other foreign forum members to move here we could have some fantastic weekend games.
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:56 am

obriendavid wrote:
barr7430 wrote: Yes Jim see you at Falkirk... by then Toggy will be a fully fledged Jock as he is moving to Kirkmuirhill on Wednesday!!!!
Now if we could only persuade the other foreign forum members to move here we could have some fantastic weekend games.
Cheers
Dave
No need for persuasion...I would come at once to the indepedent state of Scotland :D :wink:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.