Crimean Wargames Rules

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Mikelewis

Crimean Wargames Rules

Post by Mikelewis » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:42 am

Hi,

Been admiring your Crimea collection - what ruels did you use for the games?

thanks

Mike
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:00 am

Hi Mike and welcome to the site. I am embarrassed to say that with all of the work I put into the Crimean collection(proportionately the most work per figure that I've ever done) we played very few games. None of my gaming partners at that time were particularly into it and I was limited to a few solo games using adapted Napoleonic rules. I also have a Crimean set of rules written by?? or supplied by Dave Andrews.

I truly regret never gaming the period seriously as from a historical perspective it is one of my favourite historical periods. :oops:
What I can say on a more positive note is that my friend and wargaming buddy Bob Lauder(aka Thin Red Line, aka Kellerman) has a set of fast pay rules which he uses for the Crimea which are literally one side of an A4 with some room to spare!! :shock:

He swears by them(some times he just swears). Maybe he can help you. If he is not precious about it I'll PDF them and put them on the site as a download(copyright violations excepting) :idea:

Are you reading this Bob?? :?:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Mikelewis

Post by Mikelewis » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:30 am

Thanks for the reply.

I have just picked up some Crimean 25mm - Britannia figures. They are slightly odd anatomically, but I quite like the "19th century print" look about them and at £1 per painted figure they were cheap.

I have a lot of Foundry FPW figures that I have yet ot paint and was hoping to be able to use my French with the Crimeans in an attempt to get me painting them!

So far, possible rulesets are :

Principles of War - though they look a little complicated.

Piquet Hallowed Ground - I haven't played PK for a while, but I enjoyed the games I have played.

I also have Chassepot and Needlegun with Crimea amendments but that requires a LOT of figures...

I do like the way your figures are based and was thinking of basing up in 6s - 2 ranks of 3. Which would let me use them for PK or PoW.

And, yes, I would be very interested in a fastplay sets of rules - I find that the simpler the better these days.... :-)

Mike
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by pappenheimuk » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:54 pm

Mike,
if you go to the Foundry web site you can download a set of rules for the crimea, I've not used them, I use Piquet just now, you get a good game but it can take a while to set the game up.

David
"Anything but a one and you'l be OK!!!"
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Rule Sets

Post by thinredline » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:12 pm

Barry,

As usual, half asleep.

Rules I have sent for your posting on the site. I cannot take any credit for these, as they were originally published in "Wargames Illustrated" around about issue 70 something and later, republished in Nov 1998 issue 134 under the heading "Three Battles of the Jacobite Rebellion" by "Stephen Simpson". Tweak 'em' to suit. :)

Umpire note the plus 1 for any Cavalry, or Infantry in melee with artillery! - Does this sound familiar Barry ! :lol:

AND

Kellerman has been known to swear, and even curse on occaison, but the real expletives are reserved for the boys of the 10th Cavalry Division - who entertained some ladies of the night and got boozed up prior to Flussgarten whilst the 9th & 11th died in their saddles :evil:

Thin Red Line
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Crimean War

Post by thinredline » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:24 pm

Mike,

Forgive me for stating the obvious, have you read "Malkoff" in the postings below. Full of excellent references and material from Lindsay on Crimea.

Thin Red Line
Mikelewis

Post by Mikelewis » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:15 am

David,

Had a look on the Foundry site for the rules but couldn't find them. IIRC they were the Charge! rules written by David Raybin(?) which are on the Crimeanwargame yahoo group. I've looked at them but they seem more suitable for large convention games where each player controls 3 units - which a lot of American rules seemed to be geared towards.

I've now picked up Principles of War and found them incredibly confusing for a set of rules that are suppoedly written for competition play. It took me 3 reads through tto be certain that casualties actually came off a unit's strength!

Some interesting ideas though, so I might give them a go.

Mike
Mikelewis

Post by Mikelewis » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:19 am

Bob,

Thanks for the rules - I might have those issues of WI, I'll need to have a look through the cupboard...

I have just read one book on the Crimea who's author escapes me... I need to look into some others - my original interest was in FPW but then I realised I could use my french for Crimea games as well (at a pinch).

What piqued my interest was the excellent pictures of Barry's figures and the pictures in WI a while ago of a Crimean game with a river and gunship in it. Made me realise it could be a bit more fluid than the usual siege view of the war.

I've read a few short stories by Gary KIlworth (I think?) set in the Crimea as well, which also interested me...

Mike
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:17 am

Mike,

the pictures in WI of the gunboat etc were a scenario devised by a friend of mine(and user of this Site) Stuart Parkin of the Derby Wargames Club. It represented an `invasion' in the Baltic by the French I think near Kronstadt during the early part of the War. There are some fantastic options in Crimean gaming not often taken up by gamers. I would suggest :

Bulgaria/Turkish Front 1854
Baltic theatre
Later Crimean around Sevastopol - including British and French sieges and the larger battles involving the French and Sardinians.
Also coastal warfare against the Turks and some potential naval activities in the Black Sea

Maybe Stuart will respond.

Cheers

B

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:00 pm

Mike,

from your response to Bob it looks like you already have the rules. Do I need to post what Bob sent or did he send them direct?

cheers

Barry

Henry Ford
Mikelewis

Post by Mikelewis » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:21 pm

Barry,

Just had a look and I ca't find a copy of WI with the rules in them, so if you could post them up on the site that would be great.

The Crimea book I have read is by Tervor Royle and the stories set in the Crimea (and apparently novels - though I've never seen them) are by Garry Douglas (which is a pseudonym of Gary Kilworth) and feature Jack Crossman of the 88th.

The novels are:

The Devil's Own
The Valley od Eath
Soldiers in the Mist
The Winter Soldiers

thanks

Mike
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:32 pm

Mike,

I've posted the rules Bob supplied!

My first question was 'Is that it???' :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm sure the man will soon let us know!

B

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:34 pm

Aha! there is actually more than I thought... precisely one more column of text !!!

Cheers :wink:

B

Henry Ford
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Rules

Post by thinredline » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:57 pm

Barry,

Be a gent and post it up here, my technical ability fails me. :oops:

Make sure you get it all now! :lol: :lol:

Thin Red Line
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:35 am

So if you do Crimean War how much of a leap would it be to do the Franco-Prussian War with the rules you have? Who makes good figures in 25/28mm? I know about the Foundry ones but does anyone else?

18th Century Guy (yes, this is late 19th Century but I've always like the FPW)