prospective forum members -PLEASE READ THIS!!!!!

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

prospective forum members -PLEASE READ THIS!!!!!

Post by barr7430 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:06 pm

DEAR PROSPECTIVE MEMBERS OF THE FORUM, I'D LOVE TO HAVE YOU CONTRIBUTE HERE AS IT IS A GOOD PLACE TO HANG AROUND, BUT PLEASE, HAVE A HEART, I'M ONE BLOKE WITH A FAMILY, A DAY JOB, A MORTGAGE, A HOBBY, PETS, DEPENDANT PARENTS... HELP MAKE MY ROLE IN MODERATING A BIT EASIER .. HAVE A READ..below is a response to one of our forum members who was trying to help a new person join this forum.. I would recommend that you read it through please as it will make joining VERY straightforward and save me a lot of time. MANY THANKS

BARRY :D

This happens quite often Jeff. I vet ALL additions personally.. unless he's registered in the last 24 hours he's not done it right as neither of those names have shown up in the last three weeks.

I have now opened up the user list again (verified members) and you will see that the SPAM entries pour in. I cleared out 1500 yesterday which had accumulated since October 19th! Each has to be taken out manually. If people will insert the required info:
Name

I will admit them immediately. Those who cannot be bothered typing 25 seconds worth of data.. well quite frankly I couldn't care less about, I am not a public service and nobody pays me to do it!

Don't mind if you post that on TMP either!If people really want on they can register and then e mail me immediately on
wordtwister@hotmail.co.uk to tell me their user name.. they'll get activated then.
It's a two way street as I say. I am not running about doing this every week for guys who kick up a fuss and never post anything anway.. if you want to do that there is not need to be a member.. just browse!!

Thanks Jeff for taking the time to bring it to my attention, you don't have to do that but I know you are a very conscientious user and like thing just so.. like me!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:23 pm

Guys,

I see there are some rumblings on TMP about my haughtiness and slovenly attirtude to new members :lol:

NOT TRUE! I take great care to include as many people as possible in this forum and run a polite, calm and informed show. I don't ask much from new members but I do ask this:

TAKE THE TIME TO FILL IN YOUR DETAILS SO I KNOW YOU ARE NOT A BOT.

Jim Smith
Arizona is NOT Enough.

I need to see something in the fields about interests that show you are a human being and not a robot spammer. I get over 60 Spam members per day. I have to go through them manually and check everyone.
If you don't put in the little details I ask then you simply get binned like the SPAM BOTS.

So come on chaps.. it's a two way street. I have a day job, I need a holiday and I am not a servant to get kicked around.. Do you bit please and I'll do mine.
If anyone wants to pay for a new system I am in the market for that.. :wink:

The confirmation emails are generated manually too so that it why you are not getting any if you don't put the right bloody info in!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:15 pm

Well said, Barry. People forget its a lot of hard work running a website, without the possible chance of hacking/spam etc. Plus too many wengers these days by far! To much can't do than can do, by far! People tend to forget that after all it is your site and there is nothing stopping you not having a forum. 8)
"There's no booze, there's no broads, there's no action!
19th Century Trooper
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 19th Century Trooper » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:41 pm

Ok, updated my profile. :D