BIG NEWS

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:51 am

I think I've got this right when I say the re-launch issue is the "June" issue - that's actually published in May.

(I'm off for a lie down now...)
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Location: Married with Children........in Strathaven, Scotland.

Post by big-gazza » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 am

Hi,
o.k. heres the latest.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx ... rt_id=1172

The cover does look to have non FOW pics on it. Also free Perry Rifle men with the issue and free figs with a subscription.

Gazza
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:39 am

Apart from the big pic with the tank on it !!!!! :wink:
"There's no booze, there's no broads, there's no action!
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:11 am

A good deal. I for one will certainly renew my subscription.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:16 pm

The cover art is somewhat reminscent of a well known 15mm WW2 miniatures manufacturer :shock:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Post by PaulMc » Sat May 02, 2009 9:57 am

Peter Pig? :wink:
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat May 16, 2009 10:54 am

Got my copy of the June issue(260) today. Ignoring for a moment the ownership subject, if anyone thinks this is not £4.00 worth of publication they are dillusional :roll:

It is about 110pages worth with a wide variety of articles. Of course there is a clear FoW influence but their stuff is very attractive looking!

There is a strong 'advertorial' element but bloody hell, we can be hypocrites sometimes. We want good products, we want to know what is out there yet we criticise companies for punting there products!

No one has to buy them! Anyone with a little imagination can strike out
WARHAMMER or FoW or whatever and substitute your own favourite rule set into the scenarios - minimum imagination required.

I think it looks great! It smells of organisation and professionalsm and value for money.. if those qualities are bad then fetch me my sack cloth, ashes, birch twigs and outside toilet :shock:

I was paid for my contribution with my cheque inside the free copy envelope. That has never happened from any magazine before in the 15 years I have been contributing. I have very frequently waited more than a year to be paid or not been paid at all (also several times)

Hats off to Dan and his corporate meglomaniacal backers :wink: ... wargaming has joined the modern world 8)
Last edited by barr7430 on Sat May 16, 2009 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Henry Ford
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Sat May 16, 2009 9:02 pm

Well said Barry :D

...............err, I take it that it was a big cheque then :wink:

Looking forward to getting my copy at Partizan next week.

"It smells of organisation and professionalsm" yes, has been badly needed, certainly over the last few years :?
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Location: Married with Children........in Strathaven, Scotland.

Post by big-gazza » Sun May 17, 2009 3:13 pm

hi,
good to hear Barry. I'll need to pick up a copy.

Gazza
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by bibio » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:51 pm

issue two under the new regime and i'm still unsure , some of the picture quality is suspect as it was in the last issue especially photographs which appear on the same page as an illustration so i take it that this must be down to the processing.
Much as i like the acw as a period i think there was a bit of overkill in theming it ,but that is probably just me ,i only selectively buy wss because of its theming and i think illusrared will gothe same way,by giving each issue a theme and making fow the only constant they are not putting a hook into the bait.
iain
Liam A of E
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Liam A of E » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:33 am

I posted on TMP after the first revamped issue, so thought I would add my tuppenorth here now I have received the second one. Im absolutely delighted with the new format. For only the second time in all my years reading W.I. have I read it cover to cover. The use of Ospery illustrations and plans is an excellent idea, and theres no sign of corporate takeovers yet. My one gripe would be that the painting guides this month were no good if you didnt have Citadel paints. Conspiracy? I tend to think its just laziness. Anyone who knows wargamers knows its easier to find a Belgic Shako at Corunna than it is to get us to change the paints we use after one article. A "conversion chart" for those who use Vallejo/Foundry/whatever would have been useful, but didnt spoil my enjoyment too much (especially as I already have a painted Jeb and dont need another one!). I'm not finding the FOW stuff as irritating as I thought - but then I play it, so there may be others who no likee. The ACW articles were good reading, and the potted history of the Union Cav actually taught me a thing or two.

Good stuff.

If they can keep this up, good egg.
Vex me Not, or I will have you dragged awhile....
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:37 pm

Liam A of E wrote:My one gripe would be that the painting guides this month were no good if you didnt have Citadel paints. Conspiracy? I tend to think its just laziness.
Laziness perhaps, as a conspiracy with Citadel is unlikely seeing that the Flames of War people have an arrangement with Vallejo.
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
Liam A of E
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Liam A of E » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:20 pm

Absolutely! Regrettably conspiracy theorists never let facts get in the way of a good conjecture......
Vex me Not, or I will have you dragged awhile....
Cajun
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cajun » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:56 am

I paid for my subscription in May and haven't gotten an issue yet. I hope buying a subscription was worth it.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:11 pm

Hmmm.. Craig I'd follow that up if I were you. Clarence lives in VA and he has already received at least the issue previous to current... have you had nothing??
Contact Dan Faulconbridge in the UK..I think all subs go out from here

cheers
B

Henry Ford