TARGE 2005 - Kirriemuir

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

TARGE 2005 - Kirriemuir

Post by barr7430 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:01 pm

Just back from the first TARGE which breaks the chain of over 19 years? as SKELP in Kirriemuir. I felt the show was just as good as before but attendance was probably down due to the simultaneous running of SKELP(the alternative) at Forfar :cry: . I don't know what happened there and if attendance was good, bad or indifferent.

All I would say is that it would be better for Traders, Clubs and Punters if everyone got together again or at least decided to run the shows in different seasons rather than on the same day which to me is the absolute height of folly. : :?
Congrats to those I know who won prizes, Kevin Calder.. outstanding Prussians :D , Martin Terroni.. a fantastic solo effort and one which I can totally relate to from both the experience perspective(yes I too have DONE IT ALL!) and the subject matter(Ostfront 1945 - the most important, interesting and mind blowing wargaming theatre of them all) 8) , everyone's favourite ex Motherwell boy Bob Lauder for a very Imperial Light Brigade :wink: , the Iron Brigadiers for that lovely WW1 aerial game for which Peter and Dawn have had to increase their mortgage!(to pay for Peter's imports from the US! :shock: ), Colin & Dave from SESWG for going over the top with the Indian Mutiny :lol: and also to Derek from the Pheonix Club for an excellent PP game(run solo and looking so GOOD) and also those wonderful Aztecs in the painting competition :D . Special thanks to Paul Mc for running Panzer Ace whilst I had a nervous breakdown being a judge :oops: and to David Imrie for taking me back to one of our old style discussions on painting technique whilst judging together!(shield highlight tones - INDEED! :roll: ). By the way David, those Vikings that we both liked were painted by none other than MrT (he's on the jazz!) :twisted: .

Scariest moment of the day was looking at the Inverness Club's WW2 PP game only to find in covered in Martian Tripods and giant rubber Ants :shock: :shock: :shock: Please lads, do't do that ever again.
Well done to the organisers 8) , Congrats to Callum Hogan PANZER ACE SUPREMO of the day and please can we all be friends again and have one show next year??? :cry:

Barr7430 Principal Judge, League of Augsburger and ordinary Punter 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:19 pm

Great Day , I must agree Barry, not as busy, but the atmosphere was good, along with the games and it felt steady all day. Even bumped into a old friend I used to serve at my old work, that was Wullie with the really nice 1/16th tanks. The camo scheme on the Tiger was done by hand amazing!!!! It seemed to be a really relaxed atmosphere and everybody was really getting into the games they were playing.

Wargaming politics aside, Kirrie is a wee gem in the events calender and should not be missed by anyone :P

All the best Martin T

P.S, Good to see you Paul Mc, give Barry's Germans hell :lol: :lol:
"There's no booze, there's no broads, there's no action!
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Targe 2005 - Kirriemuir

Post by thinredline » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:32 pm

I make no bones about it, I am biased, being a Club Member of Kirriemuir Wargames Club, (and Dundee Skirmishers), but an Excellent day from start to finish. :D
Delighted to see so many friends and acquaintances, and make new ones, on a very successful day for the Club. :) :)
Our thanks to the Clubs, Organisations, Traders, Sponsors, Judges, Isla's Pantry, Wargamers and General Public alike for their contribution to a memorable day. :D

Bob Lauder
aka "Thinredline"
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Targe

Post by PaulMc » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:56 pm

Hi folks,

Thoroughly enjoyed myself yesterday. It was nice to meet so many people who've been posting on this forum for so long now.

Martin, your Berlin 1945 game was superb, thanks for the chat and allowing me to get a really close look at some of the figures. (I'll do my best to give Barry's German's hell :lol: )

I thought the Iron Brigade's WW1 aviation game was superb. I've loved reading about First World War aerial combat for several years now and I'm always interested when a club puts on one of these games at a show. This was definately one of the best I've seen and they really did deserve their award.

Finally, thanks to Barry for allowing me to run Panzer Ace for him. I actually enjoyed being the umpire of the game even more than playing it! I should also thank those wee lads who took part too, I don't know what they get fed on up there but I was totally worn out at the end.

Only "thumbs down" part of the day was the table that had the "DO NOT TOUCH THE MODELS" signs on it, BOOO! A please would have been nice. :roll:

PaulMc
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:56 pm

I have to agree with everyones comments above, Targe was an excellent show, as it has been for the last 19 years under a different name. Colin and myself had a great time putting on our Indian Mutiny game and talking to all the people that seemed so interested in what was going on. We spent more time talking and answering questions, especially to the younger gamers that had never heard of the period before, so we had less time to actually play the game, but that's the way we like to run our demos. Hopefully our game might have inspired a few of the younger gamers into a new period or at least look at some books on the period. A few of the older gamers wistfully remembered having boxes of unpainted figures for the period sitting at home and if even one of them gets them out and starts painting then the day will have been a success.

Cheers
Dave
Dave
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:25 pm

Hi Dave, thought you game was great, nice to have you as next door neighbours for the day, hope we are in the same place next year, it was pleasure

All the best Martin Dundee Skirmishers :)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:27 pm

Has anyone heard how SKELP went?

Henry Ford
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:46 am

According to the Dundee Courier, honours were even and they did a brisk trade with visitors etc. Small mention of Targe, but thats it. Did make reference to changing dates next year though. Although I did talk to a couple of people who had been to both shows on Saturday and had said that punters through the door was about the same, but trade at Skelp was not as busy.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:16 am

Urban Mamoth had stalls at both events and I spoke to John just before we left and he thought they did at least three times the businees at Targe than they did at Skelp, if that's any indication of how things went. I must email Frank Hammond and see how he got on at Skelp, this would have been his first visit home in about 12 years so I would hope that he did well, hopefully next year he will come to Targe.

Cheers
Dave
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:31 am

Barry , will you be putting in any pics from the show :?: :?:

Cheers Mr T
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:59 pm

Hi Martin

I'm really sorry I haven't done that. I wasn't at all happy with what I had taken as I think I had altered the exposure setting on the camera by accident. The pics did not do justice to the games and I felt that showing them was a bit of an insult to those who put on such wonderful set ups. I'll get some more pics at some time in the near future when an opportunity presetns itself :oops: :oops:

Henry Ford
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:50 pm

No Probs Barry :)
Alpha
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Targe

Post by Alpha » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:13 am

Hi Martin,
I got some images, however, like Barry the pictures I got are poor. I'll post some soon.
Liked the Vikings you had in the painting comp! I didn't know they were yours. Well done on the best of show! your 28mm WWII game is very good.
David Imrie.
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:38 pm

Cheers Dave :D