mixing scales

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
blindjack
Corporal
Corporal

mixing scales

Post by blindjack » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:36 pm

Dear All,

Having looked at the lovely terrain boards that Bruce Weigle produces and that he seems to successfully mix 1/300 figures onto a 1/4,000 scale terrain, I was considering doing something similar by using my 15mm Franco-Prussian War armies with 10mm buildings.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried this mixing of scales with any period, and what they thought of the results?

Regards

Richard
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: mixing scales

Post by obriendavid » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:52 pm

I've often used 20mm buildings with my 25/8mm figures and they look fine, you only notice the difference when the figures are standing beside doorways.
Cheers
Dave
blindjack
Corporal
Corporal

Post by blindjack » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks Dave,

Do you find it allows for a better 'footprint' for a built up area, or improves the overall aesthetics?

Richard
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:07 pm

blindjack wrote:Thanks Dave,
Do you find it allows for a better 'footprint' for a built up area, or improves the overall aesthetics?
Richard
I found that the smaller buildings gave a better footprint, where you could fit one 28mm building to represent a village I find that you can fit 2-3 20mm buildings into the same area which gives a better impression IMHO.
Cheers
Dave
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:21 am

1:200th buildings work with 15mm figures in much the same way though I would be reluctant to mix scales if I was not using a rues set with a figure representing multiple men. Differing scaled buildings in a skirmish game look odd IMO. It does however work the other way round with 20mm buildings being used in a 15mm game when the figures are on FoW type bases for example

:twisted: Ginger
blindjack
Corporal
Corporal

Post by blindjack » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:30 am

I don't intend to use the buildings for skirmish games, which I think probably would look odd, but rather with a rules system that represents 20 figures as either a battalion or regiment of infantry.

It's interesting to note that there are others that do this and I suppose I just need to bite the bullet and make or buy a couple and see what they look like together.

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

Richard