King James' Army

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

King James' Army

Post by Glorfindel » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi chaps,

I would be very grateful if someone could provide details of the army raised by the Earl of Tyrconnel in Ireland on King James' behalf. I have a list of the Regiments involved, for example, in the Battle of the Boyne but am trying to clarify when they were raised, whether they changed titles and when they were disbanded.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil
wdrenth
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: King James' Army

Post by wdrenth » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:31 am

hi Phil,

Being a 'publisher' author, I might shed some light on this :-)

As a start, there is no Dalton type of work that lists all the regiments and commissions of James II's army in Ireland between 1689 and 1691.

However, something can be derived from D'Alton's King James's Irish Army List 1689. Though it is a genealogical work in the first place, it lists the regiments in 1689 with the officers. But no hard dates on commissions etc.

There is also an article in an older issue of The Irish Sword on the Jacobite Army in Ireland, by Murtagh and Murtagh (Irish Sword, volume XVIII (70), pages 32-48). That article is in principle the most accurate compilation of available sources. It contains the necessary references, and lists of regiments for each year. If you can get a copy of this journal, then you have all you want.

Furthermore, there are several articles in Irish historical, regional and archeological journals that touch on this topic.

Most of Jacobite regiments were raised in early 1689 by Tyrconnell, with a handful from the original Irish army. As usual, regiments were known by the name of the colonel, though there was of course the Regiment of Guards. Of interest that the regiments were led by the Catholic gentry of Ireland. Few more regiments were raised in 1690 and 1691, mainly to replace others.

The regiments were not formally disbanded at the Treaty of Limerick, they were simply dissolved if they hadn't done before and ceased to exist. I have compiled a list myself, based on the above references. Can email it to you if you want :-)

cheers,
Wienand
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:13 am

I wouldn't mind a copy Weinand, if you don't mind. I think you have my email.

Thanks
Ben
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi Wienand,

I should have known you would have the answer ! Just ask the oracle.

I've only seen one of the sources you mention (King James' Irish Army List) and have tried to pick my way through it. I found it heavy going, however, and, as you say, it was not written with the same intent as his six volume epic on the English/Scots/Irish/British Army.

[Given the C17th feel of the LoA board, and Scots 'Command Base', I always feel I want to be very careful about Army titles - I certainly wouldn't want to annoy any skirt wearing, haggis chomping Jocks - oops...] ;-)) Perhaps I should have waited until after the footie result...

Anyway, back on track, I would very much appreciate a copy of the list you have developed. You already have my email address. I can then incorporate this information into my British Isles summary.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Phil
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:20 am

And may I say, after having read it last night, what an astounding piece of work Wienand has created.
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
wdrenth
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by wdrenth » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:54 am

Thank you Ben, encouraging words to pick this project up again as there still is plenty of room for improvements.