Rules Crimea 28mm

covering mainly Crimean & American Civil War
TIMUR57
Private First Class
Private First Class

Rules Crimea 28mm

Post by TIMUR57 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi Friends,
it's impossible no consider to paint the new fantastic Crimean range of GWM ....! :lol:
So, please, have you any idea about a set of rules for this period useful for a little game with 4 or5 units each part (... NO CASUALTIES REMOVAL and multiple figs. stand)?
I think units of 18/24 figs.

Thanks for help and best regards from Italy !!!

Andrea
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:09 pm

Your right, very hard to resist! :D
You could use the Black powder rules,although not universally popular on this forum,with a little tweak.
All the best
From Grey, cloudy Lancashire. :)
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:06 am

dashing blade wrote:Your right, very hard to resist! :D
You could use the Black powder rules,although not universally popular on this forum
Apart from me I've not really noticed anyone else knocking Black Powder on this forum. you could just wait a little and get Barry's ammendments of R2E for the Crimean period.
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:47 pm

Actually for a small game: March of Eagles would be fun
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:47 pm

You could almost use RtE per se.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:05 pm

Almost "per se" but the main difference in the intervening 40 years from Waterloo was the advances made in weapons and ammunition. :)

The Minie and latterly (during the campaign - Enfield) were available to the Brits and French from the outset with some exceptions. The Russians only had 4% of their forces armed with Belgian Manufactured Minie Rifles. if these had been allocated to their troops in the Crimea, I would be surprised. Effectively, the allies had a superior fire rate, with better accuracy, and longer effective ranges. Then again Russian attack columns were pretty dense targets :!:
I am sure Barry will be addressing this "minor" point in his PDF / supplement :wink:

No differences in the Cavalry, only distinction being that all British Unit types should be capable of carrying out any duties required by Cavalry, be they Light, or Heavy, ie Lights could charge enemy formations, and Heavies could engage in picket duties or skirmishing. :)

Thinredline
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:09 pm

Bob, a really, really, really simple amendment to R2E to reflect rifling accuracy is as follows:

Rifled artillery - keep ranges the same and give rifled guns 1 extra shooting dice per gun to reflect the increased accuracy effect.

There is already rifled musket ranges in the rules. I honestly cannot see any huge further changes because artillery ranges are alrleady significant.. increasing a 12pdr to 110 inches is going to help no one except those hundreds of thousands of wargamers who have 13 feet long tables :wink:

I have not gotten to the 'official' mods publishing yet but haver done a lot of tinkering for Crimea and ACW. I think the above takes care of one of the few MAJOR differences
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:40 pm

barr7430 wrote:.. increasing a 12pdr to 110 inches is going to help no one except those hundreds of thousands of wargamers who have 13 feet long tables :wink:
Hear, Hear.... I only have a 6' x 15' table if I place my parrots cage into the bedroom :twisted:
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:30 pm

MarechalNey wrote:Hear, Hear.... I only have a 6' x 15' table if I place my parrots cage into the bedroom :twisted:
Same here... If I moved Norma out of the bedroom. :twisted:

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.