Infomation on the Russians

covering mainly Crimean & American Civil War
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Infomation on the Russians

Post by dashing blade » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:25 pm

I'm a little confused! I've painted some Russians for the crimean war, and used a plate in "19th Century Uniforms" as a guide (its a new book,and i've forgotten the authors name). So i painted all my little fellas in Brown/tan greatcoats and red collar and epaluetts and red sleeves. Then on browsing through other plates in different books, i couldnt find another example of coloured cuffs on greatcoats! I've checked the web and no coloured cuffs there either.! Is this some new unearthed source or a mistake!

Thing is they look bloody good with coloured cuffs and i'd hate to paint over them. Does anyone have any evidence of colour on the cuffs,on any unit in the russian army.

HELP
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:51 pm

Sounds like you may need to do a little reading through Mark Conrad's translations of Viskovatov's seminal work on the Russians in this period: http://marksrussianmilitaryhistory.info/#Viskovatov. You'll need to read through the changes from 1825 up to the Crimean conflict to get the most complete picture, or short-cut it by 'searching' on "cuff".
Bryce
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:39 am

Thanks Greystreak,
Thats a lot of info!
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)