Schleswig Holstein war 1864 - 28mm pt 2

covering mainly Crimean & American Civil War
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:39 am

Great game at the club, plenty of laughs and banter, idea was for the Prussian/Holstein army with some Austrians to get the Danish army from the trenches, once that happened they fell back to the vauban fort and it was game over.

Lots of figures and rules used for this was the Victorian Steel 1839-1901
More photos at http://www.victorian-steel.com/ in the gallery, 53 in total

free photo upload

free image uploading

The Danes planned to defend the ancient DANEWERK (Danevirke in Danish, an earthen wall crossing the peninsula north of the Eider River. That plan soon was given up as there were no barracks and the line was in no condition to be held.

photo upload sites

upload gifs

The Danish army, 40,000 men, withdrew toward Flensburg. The Danish army was no match for the combined Prusso-Austrian forces. In the BATTLE OF HELGOLAND (May 9th) the Danish Navy scored a victory over the Austrian Navy, although no ships were sunk.

screencast

image hosting over 10mb

Meanwhile, , the Danish land forces were defeated by the Prussian forces near DYBBØL (April 18th; in German : Düppel); all of Jutland was occupied by Prussian and Austrian troops. At Dybboel the Prussians suffered 1201 dead and wounded, the Danes 1669. On April 29th, the Danish fortress FREDERICIA surrendered.

upload image free

upload img

Truce negotiations held in London since April 25th collapsed on June 20th. The Germans occupied the Jutland peninsula (kune/July) and the island of Als (June) (in German : Alsen). At Als the Danish losses numbered 3,148, the Prussian ones 372). On October 30th truce was finally signed; on November 16th, the allied Austrian and Prussian troops evacuated Jutland.

[url=http://postimage.org/]Image

image hosting sites

images

During the war, the Danish Army (40,000 men) had faced 28,500 Austrians and 43,500 Prussians (on both sides the Navy not included). In total, the Danes lost 14,460 men, of them 3,151 dead, the Prussians lost 3,536 men, of them 1,048 dead, the Austrian lost 1,164 men.

Scenery by GWS
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Schleswig Holstein war 1864 - 28mm pt 2

Post by obriendavid » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:16 pm

It's great to see an unusual 19th century game and up to your usual high standard.
Cheers
Dave
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:51 am

Thanks Dave, still lots more to paint up though, not finished this period as yet.
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:11 pm

Very impressive :idea:
Can you tell me where you came across the stonework fortifications. Whether scratch built using stonework sheets, or whether commercially available. :?:
The Redan and the Mamelon would look very good constructed in a similar vein for the Crimea :)

thinredline
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:15 pm

They are plastic sheets, proberly stuck on with hot glue on blue foam, i never made them so i am guessing buts thats how i would of done it.
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:00 pm

Thanks, looks the part :!:

Thinredline
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:29 am

thinredline wrote:Very impressive :idea:
Can you tell me where you came across the stonework fortifications. Whether scratch built using stonework sheets, or whether commercially available. :?:
The Redan and the Mamelon would look very good constructed in a similar vein for the Crimea :)

thinredline
I would have thought you already had that covered Bob?
I'm shocked!!!! 8-)
Cheers
Dave
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:01 pm

Well Hello Mr O'Brien,

Been having a wee bit of a 'sojourn' but must get back to wargaming and modelling. I have not begun to address the Siege as yet, but am adding more French and looking very interested in The Piedmontese for a 'little' :lol: bash at the Tractir Bridge first :!:

Mirliton are looking good. I expect that's where you sourced your 'Berglerseri' Dave. I have been looking for Moroccan 'Spahis' - mounted. Castaway may end up being the choice, bit Artisan WWI Arab revolt may be suitable, or Old Glory, and all just for a couple of colourful squadrons of cavalry (easily at home for Franco Prussian maybe).

I did like the Danish figures here and came across a range whilst flicking thro. TMP.

Now if I can settle down for a bit and paint, this long hard winter may not be so bad after all :wink:

Thinredline
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:25 pm

thinredline wrote:Well Hello Mr O'Brien,
Been having a wee bit of a 'sojourn' but must get back to wargaming and modelling. I have not begun to address the Siege as yet, but am adding more French and looking very interested in The Piedmontese for a 'little' :lol: bash at the Tractir Bridge first :!:
Mirliton are looking good. I expect that's where you sourced your 'Berglerseri' Dave.
Thinredline
Correct Bob they are from Mirleton.
Irregular Miniatures also have a range of figures for the Italian Wars of Independence which look not too bad on their site but I haven't seen them in the flesh.
Another Crimean game in 2016 would be great if we could get together.
Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:01 pm

Bob, here is a link to the Irregular Italian range.

http://irregularminiatures.co.uk/produc ... &subid=422

Cheers
Dave