Foundry 1644

For topics related to wargaming in the period 1600-1660
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Foundry 1644

Post by pappenheimuk » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:09 pm

Guys
Foundry has re-released 1644 with lists etc for the 30yw as well.
Anyone seen a set yet? I have a copy of the old set, and want to see if it would be worthwhile buying the new set.

Davy
"Anything but a one and you'l be OK!!!"
Yermolov
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Yermolov » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:25 pm

While I haven't seen the rulebook yet, I've heard it costs $40 USD, which is about double what the old one cost me. Inflation plays a part, naturally, but I don't think I'll be dropping that kind of cash just to get a few more army lists.

The cost of rulebooks now is astronomical. I've balked at getting into Flames of War just because of the cost of the rulebook and supplements, and that's hardly an isolated case. When I was first getting into the hobby back in the mid 1980's, most rulebooks were pretty simple affairs printed in black & white with a cardstock cover. Any of the old Tabletop Games rules sets, for example. Didn't look like much, but did it's job at a cheap cost...

If I bought all of the rulebooks that look interesting today I'd have no money left over for lead, and that's the part of the hobby that counts! :-)
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:33 am

I was surprised at the re-release of 1644 especially as many of the concepts and the artwork form the first version (flags and uniform charts) appear in the Warhammer Ancient battles ECW book.

Peter
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:50 am

I've jsut looked at the new sample pages on the Foundry webiste and they have changed considerably form v1. There appear to eb some good new graphics and pictures as wellas painting guides so - I have ordered a copy ! I'm too easily persuaded by good graphics.

I've always liked the rules themselves so we'll see how they've been changed.

Peter
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
neworks
Private
Private

Post by neworks » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:24 pm

I saw 1644 yesterday and though the graphics looked good.

I didn't realise that it was it has been out before but would be interested to know what it is like.

I bought 2 ECW armies at Targe last year and have not done a lot with them.

I did order Forlorn Hope rules as heard nice things about them but as yet they have not arrrived.

Dave
londonjock
Private
Private

Post by londonjock » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:24 pm

I've seen discussions on the "new" version on other forums, and the consensus seems to be that the rules themselves haven't changed much; I won't be buying them, as I've done some "in-house" amendments for TYW which we use at Northolt, so no point for us.
That said, 1644 is a good set of rules, giving a good flavour of the period, and a very playable game.
azeroth
Captain
Captain

Post by azeroth » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:53 am

Rules have had minor tweaking to them to update a few errors and comments gathered over the years.

MAin differences are they now include new army lists for Marlburian (yes you read it right) pirates and elizabethan english so the idea being you can use the rules up to the Marlburian period, i wonder fi this is becasue wecw is currently on the boards for a rewrite and expansion into that period.

1644 are now full colur print on glossy paper as well and in my opinion worth the £20 they cost, especially if you buy them as a unti and rules deal.

IanB
A moth eaten rag on a worm eaten pole
It does not look likely to stir a man's soul
'Tis the deeds that were done 'neath the moth eaten rag
When the pole was a staff and the rag was a flag.

E Hamley
paulos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by paulos » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:49 pm

Played some half decent games recently with them. Games played to conclusion in a couple of hours and quite fun so can't be bad. Would recommend them to somone new to the period.

However, my 1 reservation is the campaign (which we are currently running as an aside to our usual gaming) which has failed to capture our imagination after playing a few turns (6weeks). We intend to play until complete but each turn now seems like a chore rather than an enjoyable gaming experience.
C'mon Wakey!