SAGA double whammy

For gaming comments, queries, painting and modelling tips relating to the periods generically classed as 'Ancients'
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

SAGA double whammy

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:46 am

We played two games of SAGA last night back to back and here are the AAR´s:

http://dhcwargamesblog.wordpress.com/20 ... le-whammy/

Enjoy,

Burkhard
Just a short preview:
scrivs
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: SAGA double whammy

Post by scrivs » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:14 pm

That looks excellent, great figures on great terrain.
The Scrivsland Blog

Clearing the backlog 2013....

Purchased: 12
Painted: 115

That's just the 28mm stuff, I'm not even going to start on the other scales.
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:14 am

Thanks Scrivs!
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:02 pm

It's good to see these rules actually played with some terrain actually taking part in the game. All the games I've seen at our local club and a number of games I've seen at shows have all just been a flat table with lots of figures on them and definitely wasn't inspiring.
Cheers
Dave
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:19 pm

I agree with that all skirmish games are much more fun with a lot of terrain on the table. I will also admit to not having had a crack at Saga yet despite having a number of suitable figures.

:evil: Ginger
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:23 pm

Martin and I both enjoy good looking games, with the rest of the guys it is a mix of "if there is nice terrain it is fine, but do not look at me for it" and "a plain table and some pieces of felt is all I need". But for me at least 50% of the fun is the looks of the game, so for me it is a must!
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:01 am

Lovely looking game Burkhard.
14th Brooklyn wrote:...with the rest of the guys it is... ..."a plain table and some pieces of felt is all I need".
It surprises me how common this attitude is among miniatures gamers. I know not everyone is going to be able to play across some fantastically realistic looking piece of table top real estate, but at least make an effort with a few tress and a field or two!

I can't square in my head the contradiction of going to all that trouble to buy and paint three dimensional miniatures, but then only choosing to play with them on a plain table / some pieces of felt two dimensional landscape. Why bother with the figures then? Might as well replace them with cardboard counters and wooden blocks and play board games?

DPT
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:05 am

My thoughts exactly!
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:19 pm

Duke of Plaza-Toro wrote:Lovely looking game Burkhard.
It surprises me how common this attitude is among miniatures gamers. I know not everyone is going to be able to play across some fantastically realistic looking piece of table top real estate, but at least make an effort with a few tress and a field or two!
DPT
Especially when we have so much choice on terrain pieces to buy these days and a lot of it can also be bought painted at not to expensive prices.
The other option is to try and make your own which is one thing I like to do as a change from painting figures.
The cemetery on my blog is a mix of the two.
http://davestoybox.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... erfly.html
The actual field is bought from Last Valley but I then re-painted the trackway to match my basing method, added a few bushes and tufts then a gate to finish off the model. The cemetery stones are sold by Renda but then painted and based up to match the rest of the terrain and a few little details with the freshly dug grave to add a bit interest to the terrain. The whole job didn't take long, was interesting to do and was a nice break from painting figures yet can now be used as a terrain feature for any period covering 100's of years.
Cheers
Dave
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:31 pm

Dave,

I do nor get it either. I have always been DIYing a lot of my terrain, but especially the last twohas seen a massive amout of inexpensive and good looking terrain, especially from Warbases, 4Ground and Renedra. To the level that I think I will most likely mostball my foamcore and just buy lasercut cut buildings in the future.

The main reasoning behind the thinking for my mates are the rules. :o :? Stuff like FOG has this roll for terrain thing worked into the rules and if it is in the rules it must be the fairest way to arrange things... Right? And the train of thought that replaying historic encounters is boring since you are either forced to make the same mistakes as the historic commanders or that you will only go through the pacs of what historians have said could have been done differently. There are obviously no other choices! :roll: and just setting up a table that is fair for either side no sensible option to create a non-historic battle! :roll:

OK... I think I have gone into rant mode!
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:42 pm

obriendavid wrote: The cemetery on my blog is a mix of the two.
http://davestoybox.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... erfly.html
That's a smart looking piece Dave.

I like fiddling around with terrain and making my own, so much so I sometimes have to remind myself it's all pretty useless unless I stop and paint some figures!

DPT
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:17 pm

Duke of Plaza-Toro wrote: I like fiddling around with terrain and making my own, so much so I sometimes have to remind myself it's all pretty useless unless I stop and paint some figures!
DPT
There is a danger of that but I see doing little pieces like this or making vignettes for my armies as treats for painting all the units.
Cheers
Dave