Finally finished my Danes

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Finally finished my Danes

Post by 18th Century Guy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:22 pm

I've been working on them for a while and I was waiting for my flags to arrive before I could fully complete the unit. The flags finally arrived and they look really good. Flags are by The Flag Dude for the Danes. I've also been working on a French Guard battalion and I decided to try Maverick Models based on the recommendations by people who frequent this site. I was not disappointed at all and the service by Stuart is right up there with the best. All figures are Front Rank.

http://18th-century-studios.blogspot.com/

Thank you in advance for stopping by.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:41 pm

That's a great paint job on your figures.
Cheers
Dave
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:35 pm

Damn fine looking danes, but ofcourse the danes are evil people that inslaved the noble and richues Norwegians
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Gunfreak wrote:Damn fine looking danes, but ofcourse the danes are evil people that inslaved the noble and richues Norwegians
That must be one of the excuses for Sweden to "liberate" the poor Norwegians of that Danish Devils 1815 :twisted:

18th Century Guy

Great looking Danes, 18th Century Guy, I like Rick's(Flagdudes) Flags too.
Are they 40mm printed on cotton?

Günter
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:32 pm

Dazzling stuff,love the figs/flags. Really chunky bases!
:D
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Gunter,

The flags are around 45mm along the pole. Rick then sizes the rest of the flag accordingly. Yes, they are on the cotton or what many will call 'material'. One other thing I ask Rick do to is to turn OFF his white color. It has shading in it and I prefer the pure white look on most of my flags (where white is shown).

Blade,

I do like the chunky bases as it seems to make it easier for people to pick up the base instead of the the figures. A little less damage but overall I like the look and feel.
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:30 am

18th Century Guy wrote:Gunter,

The flags are around 45mm along the pole. Rick then sizes the rest of the flag accordingly. Yes, they are on the cotton or what many will call 'material'. One other thing I ask Rick do to is to turn OFF his white color. It has shading in it and I prefer the pure white look on most of my flags (where white is shown).
I can well understand this. I've seen white flags so heavily shaded that you'd think they were grey flags!

Nice units to be proud of.

Salute
von Peter himself
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:22 am

very nice as usual. You must have a fair old WSS collection by now.
I like your bases. Unusual but well done
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Post by PaulMc » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:13 am

Aye they're braw! The bases seem gey big though. Aboot 1cm high?
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:53 pm

PaulMc,

The bases are 1/4 inch thick which is around 7mm. I buy a 1/4 x 3 x 24 board at the local hobby store and cut them to the sizes I want.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:23 am

18th Century Guy wrote:Gunter,

The flags are around 45mm along the pole. Rick then sizes the rest of the flag accordingly. Yes, they are on the cotton or what many will call 'material'. One other thing I ask Rick do to is to turn OFF his white color. It has shading in it and I prefer the pure white look on most of my flags (where white is shown).....
Hi,

after some considerations I finaly made up my mind and will now order for my Napoleonic Saxons and their "friends" flags on the so-called 'material'. As I looked at the pictures I noticed some white bands on the flags of the garde francaise. Are they selfmade or has Rick attached them?

Cheers,

Günter
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:47 am

front rank sell finnials with the "ribbons" attached .
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:44 am

I used the Front Rank finnials as noted by Jim but Rick will provide a finnial and cravat all at the same cost.
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:27 pm

I like the flag dudes style of flags. Does he do the flags finished , on the fly so to speak. They have nice movement in them. Also are they a standard size. I usually have mine slightly big , about 40 mm square
I think that there is a uk outlet as well ?
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:27 pm

The Flagdudes flags all come with finials attached. At least for my Napoleonic British and Portuguese infantry. I'll be picking some more up from him at Salute next week, 1st and 11th Portuguese Cavalry, who had 1 standard per squadron! At least I only need 2 squadrons for each regiment.

Bill