The project building a earth fort 28mm (Hammerhead show)

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:30 pm

At Hammerhead again this year with a game for the Boxer Rebellion period, idea is to have a river with a colonial gunboat with support to exit across the table while being fired upon by the Imperial and Boxer army, talking lots of artillery here and the project has began to create a sort of Taku earthwork fort.

We just don't want it to be only for the Boxer Rebellion but also for the AWI and ACW and a number of other periods, it has to be 28mm size and fit on the river edge to bombard anything that seems to be a enemy.

First picture is blue foam cut to size, i used a MDF board for the base and this was painted with emulsion paint on both sides to stop any bowing.

image url upload

The Mdf board was first given a number of small pin nails i half hammer into the board, the 2ft square foamboard was given a slope cut around the edges - i then used transuluscent silicone and just squeezed it all over the MDF board, i then pushed a the 2ft square foamboard onto the MDF board, the nails half entered the foam holding it into place.

I then cut up long sections 65mm wide by 350mm long, i cut up four sections as these would be my walkways inside the fort, i used for the walls section as follows 50mm high 350mm long and 25mm wide, again everything was given the transuluscent silicone but with matchsticks instead of nails to keep it in place, i used a bread knife to cut sections out for the gun emplacements.

image hosting

The entrance -gateway was to have a slope which again i cut out with a bread kife and sand papered down.

free upload image

upload a gif

I then used Daz clay to hide the joints and build up around the perimeter of the fort, its cheap and once set is rock hard perfect for the job.

free uploader

So now onto the inside of the fort, i created a slope walkway from foam off cuts, the walkway is coffee stirrers, you need lots of these, best way to fit these is to glue them onto cardboard once dry use silicone to fix the cardboard onto the wall sections then the walkway,saves you alot of messing around, i used balsa wood to hide the joints and it looks nice and neat

how to use print screen

image hosting free

image url upload

So far so good, here is what it looks like so far, long way to go but i should have it done by the end of the week.

img host

image hosting over 5mb
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Re: The project building a earth fort 28mm (Hammerhead show)

Post by RogerC » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:47 pm

Brilliant, looking forward to seeing the finished article.
arthur1905
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by arthur1905 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:26 am

Looking good, can't wait to see it at the show

Mark
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Been working on it more today, thanks for the comments, will post more pictures up soon, yea love to see you at the show Mark that would be nice,always up for a chat :D
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:05 pm

Part two of the fort so far so good.

Once the planking was done i used balsa wood to tidy up the edges and make them look neat like so.I used PVA glue for this

adult photo sharing

I look at it and thought it i don't like the part of it looking abit to tidy, so i used a knife to cut away at those wood beams and the sharp edge got a small nail file on it.

image hosting

Next was the entrance, same method of cut and file, i think i am going to leave the gate till last, because i want a gate that can open and shut, depending if the enemy breaks in, so i need hinges off ebay for that.

image hosting no registration

The two ramps i decided to plank, might look abit off at the bottom but later i can easy put that correct, side panels were abit of a pain, but the cardboard cutout got the shape and i bostik the coffee stirrers on, use a pair of sissors to cut it to size once dry, don't bother with a knife.

image url upload

Another pic just to show how that extra balsa makes a big difference, small details do help, i will be cutting it up abit later and making it not so neat, you will find once painted it will make the wood stand out more.

gif hosting

Overall view of it, i have cut up wicker sticks and placed them in the shooting gaps, you can get these from poundland for a £1, fantasic value for money

screengrab
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Update - so now i used the Daz clay again, this time against the wooden beams, i shaped a slope on each section of the wall so when i get round to the texture it should look like earth dirt

imgurl

I then used the clay for where i think earth dirt would be on the planking

hosting images

image hosting free

Once i was happy with the clay, i allowed to dry and used a cheap ready mix interior filler, once dry i gave it a rub down with sandpaper, you only need a thin layer so no need to go overboard with this, i was going to use a knife to spread but the mix came with a plastic spreader, much better than a knife so use this.

screenshot program

Outside walls, same way of doing things

image hosting free

image hosting

Never went over the clay slopes as it was already created

image hosting above 5 mb

Black matt car spray £1 for poundland, i only used it for the wood planking no need to spray everywhere.

adult image upload

I used PVA glue with a small brush and gave it a sand texture between the wicker sticks, again small details mean a lot.

image sharing

Once the texture was dry i just push cocktail sticks i cut in half into the foam, once on place i gave the PVA glue touch.

upload an image

picture upload
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:39 pm

I'm enjoying your production process Malc and look forward to seeing the finished item which I'm sure will be up to the same standard as your Cossack fort which I loved. Unfortunately I probably won't be at the show this year in fact I'm going to miss quite a few shows due to family commitments.

Dave
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:26 pm

Thanks Dave, sorry you can't make it mate, but family always comes first
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:44 pm

Cossack fort? Where can I see that?
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:10 pm

RogerC wrote:Cossack fort? Where can I see that?
Part of it in its making
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6640
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Now I do like that.
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:40 pm

part 4 of the building

I painted the wood planking dark brown matt DIY pot paint and a nutmeg for the ground inside the fort

image url

host image online

The inside was given a magnolia matt highlight, i used this on the gound and fort , it was then given a white touch of dry brushing

pictures upload

image hosting without registration

image hosting without account

Time for the outside groundwork, nutmeg, small brush first for all the neat touches followed by a large brush, need to wait for it to dry now.

post image online

image url

Almost done, still have to create the gate and another barricade inside, plus more painting.
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:02 am

Update so far, i have now highlighted the outside groundwork, and thought it might need another colour just to break it up, so i used PVA glue and sprinkled grass, once dry i touched up with another paint pot from the DIY store - matt yellow

image hosting site over 5mb

image sharing sites

image hosting 30 mb

Also i thought why not add a touch of grass in the places i thought it might grow inside the fort, again its just a break up of colours. but i think it works.

20mb image hosting

free photo hosting

The cocktail sticks i cut down, i did'nt want the sharp ends, coud be a pain in the hand when picking up the board piece and i did not think it made that much difference.

image hosting 30 mb

I came across this box for £1 in a craft shop, looks ok, but its the hinges i wanted for my gate door, i will try and get these off and put them to good use.

imagehost

screen shot windows

I created the door with balsa wood and again coffee sticks, the rivets i made is plastic putty, just put a blob on a what ever you have and use a sewing needle - dip the needle in the blob and place it on the gateway where it should go, just wait till dry.

So far so good, got to get this gate finished then it will be time to weather it up, i think it makes a massive difference to anything you create.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:37 pm

Great idea with the box...for further "woodworks" you may consider to use hinges used at wooden model ships like this:
http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/ ... inges.html

Btw., do you own a large Warehouse to store all that stuff? :D

Cheers,
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:28 pm

My friend Dave has a large building, this is where we game and store and create what we want, this project is no problem for space .... thank god !