Old Guard

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Alpha
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Alpha » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:31 pm

Hi Coyote,
I use thin paint. I try to get a result to the eye in three layers but sometimes it takes more. There are about four layers on the greatcoats.

I paint three figures at a time.

Hope this helps?
David
Coyote
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Coyote » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:44 pm

I hope you don't mind me being so exact, but do you mean you paint three layers of the same colour for each stage, or three stages, shade, mid and highlight?

Basically, most descriptions of painting say things like: I painted the face first with a dark skin tone. I then applied a medium skin tone to all but the areas that would be in deep shadow. Finally, I highlighted with light skin tone concentrating on the highest spots of the cheekbone, nose and forehead.

While this is technically correct, what they don't often mention is that the medium skin tone and light skin tone--generic terms I'm using instead of paint names--required 2-3 coats for proper coverage. This leads to three outcomes:

1) Painter follows instructions to the letter, including previous section on thinning paint. Final result is somewhat blotchy and not as bright and crisp as what he was trying to emulate.

2) Painter realizes coverage issue and responds by thinning paint less. It's a good paint, so he gets coverage without using too-thick paint, but he's able to do each step in one coat with smooth coverage. The end result has harsher transitions than what was expected.

3) Painter realizes coverage issue, makes several passes and is rewarded with a "proper" paint job but is dismayed that it took him three times as long as it should have.

That being said, I'd love a super-closeup of some of your miniatures, specifically one done in your current dip/wash style, and another done with just layered.

I know if may not be possible, but it'd really help me to understand. That and a high quality uncompressed properly focused video of you painting a miniature. Also, could you come to Canada and demonstrate for me? I'm sending you a box of miniatures for a 1:1 scale Waterloo diorama, do you think you can have those done by April?

Joking aside, I'd also love to hear your feedback on this thread:
http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/fightin ... php?t=2129
Tyler "Coyote" Provick
http://tyler.provick.ca
Alpha
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Alpha » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:44 am

Hi Tyler,
Ok, I'll try and explain in more depth. The first thing I would say is...I paint with my eye not the brush. I don't always get the paint mix right. Sometimes it's too runny, however, I always use thin layers of paint. I try to get a thin solid colour. If it takes two or three applications then I don't care, as long as it's right. Take for example the first colour on a face. In my case it's terracotta over black. It's never going to cover properly in one coat over a black undercoat! I'll paint it on then go over it with another thin layer. The next colour is Dwarf Flesh this usually only needs one layer over the terracotta. Again...I use my eye, if it needs another layer it will get one! The last colour is elf flesh, again usually just one coat. Some figures have more prominent features and nowadays 28mm figures come in all sizes. If the detail needs more highlight then I'll add a tiny amount of white to the Elf flesh.
I'll try and find a close up image.
David
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:44 am

Alpha wrote:Hi Guys,
Yes, Victrix...I Should have said that !
David
David,

Great stuff. I'm glad they are on my side. You should upload an image of their backs for Churchill as he will have no chance of seeing them during the game.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Coyote
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Coyote » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:03 pm

That's exactly what I was looking for: you're getting coverage on one coat for your layers (except the first).

The difference is that when you make 2-3 coats for proper coverage of layers past the first it is impossible to make each stroke in the exact same place. This causes a natural blending of the layer.

I was thinking of purposefully making my paints translucent to do this effect. It'll add more time to the paintjob but really improve the look. However, I think the biggest thing I see in your paintjobs that I feel I'm missing is the 4th layer, where you add an extra little highlight if needed.

There's a nuance to your layers that isn't a strong suit of the Foundry Three-Layer system, and it's the wash (which gives nuance as well as shading) and the final highlight.

Thanks for helping me understand, as I really want to move my painting style closer to yours. Looking forward to a close-up if you have one.
Tyler "Coyote" Provick
http://tyler.provick.ca
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:20 pm

Very impressive work Alpha, a little depressing to think how far i have to go to reach this standard.
:oops:
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:40 pm

(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definately not from Yorkshire)
Dashing Blade,

There is a body of evidence that suggests He actually comes from north of the border since He can spell "definitely". :P

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Alpha
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Alpha » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:18 am

A warts and all close up for Tyler as requested!

Another WIP Image and thank you for all the kind words!
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:31 pm

Tep stuff David. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I think you have that difficult blue just right.

Darrell.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/