Beauty spots

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Beauty spots

Post by dashing blade » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:43 pm

Would any kind soul please inform if beauty spots where still fashionable in the 1700 to 1710 period. I'm painting a rather fashionable dandy for a rather rough Irish regiment and want him to look like he is at the height of fashion . I no its a small point , but its the details that catch the eye, and i dont want to by the victim of abusive beauty spot fashion experts.Also would gentleman volunteers without funds fight in their own clothes?
:roll:
thanks.
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:11 pm

Welcome to the forum!

And it is a SMALL point! :wink:

I have a French general with rouge'd cheeks and a beauty spot in my Louis XIV army... I'm sure you'll get away with it... anyway, you could say it was a blackhead if anyone got shirty.. I think they also had them in 1700.. no Clearisil!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

beauty spots or blackheads

Post by dashing blade » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:11 pm

Thanks for the info, i shall now attempt to paint a beauty spot that does not resemble a powder burn! Dont know about the rouge though,and definitely no eyeliner! :oops:
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Beauty spots

Post by obriendavid » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:51 am

dashing blade wrote:Would any kind soul please inform if beauty spots where still fashionable in the 1700 to 1710 period. I'm painting a rather fashionable dandy for a rather rough Irish regiment and want him to look like he is at the height of fashion . thanks.
Tough Irishmen wearing beauty spots!
I think not! It's probably still a bit of mud from his bog :lol:

Paint the figures up as you see fit and don't worry what others think of your ideas as you will always find some clown who can't paint to save themselves offering their 'expert' advice on where you have gone wrong.
Just ask Barry about the fashion police. Although the way he goes about dressed perhaps they should have a word :shock:

Cheers
Dave
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:19 pm

I'd agree. Many years ago I had a friend who was colour blind. Painted all his Napoleonic British infantry in Purple coats. Very effective but definitely a bit strange.
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

beauty spots

Post by dashing blade » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:17 pm

Thanks gentlemen, i will try to ignore the fashion/uniform police and paint my Irish adventuer as i see fit! Point taken about a dandy trying to blend in with my rough diamonds,but surely contrast is tool of prespective. Also speaking as a someone with more than a pint or two of Irish blood in me , bog mud is good for the skin! :wink: