Churchill's Red Painting Technique

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Churchill's Red Painting Technique

Post by Rob Herrick » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:51 am

I tried out his painter's combination on a Baluchi. While it was a lot of work, I'm quite pleased with the results!

More Baluchis and other shading color combinations at the blog: With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: A Wargaming Blog
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
jezamonos
Captain
Captain

Re: Churchill's Red Painting Technique

Post by jezamonos » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:44 am

Looks great. It is always a struggle to do reds.

Not sure i understand the Churchill bit ? :?
Owner - Default Models
http://defaultmodels.blogspot.com/
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:16 pm

One of the posters here. He has been asked on how his painter gets his reds as red as they are on several occasions.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
jezamonos
Captain
Captain

Post by jezamonos » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:23 pm

Ah, got it.

Just looking at your figure more, he looks mighty worried by those sharks circling him. :lol:
Owner - Default Models
http://defaultmodels.blogspot.com/
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:48 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:35 pm

jezamonos wrote:Just looking at your figure more, he looks mighty worried by those sharks circling him. :lol:
Nah. He's thinking shark soup for dinner . . .

It's less a ring of landsharks than a ring of stones terrain piece they have at my LGS. I was inspired to use it by some of the pictures over at The Campaigns of General William Augustus Pettygree for character shots.

Here is the leader of the Orange Sash Matchlockmen in a similar setup:

The photos do not do justice to the shading of his face (Reaper's Bronzed Flesh triad), but you can rest assured, he isn't concerned about the sharks either!
Last edited by Rob Herrick on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:33 pm

Churchill wrote:Pleased your happy with the Red recipe and your figure does look good along with the highlights.
Thanks. It does look very nice, though the photos do not show what I think are the best highlights - the blue on his turban.

I think I will try it on some more . . . conventional . . . figures and see how well it works. Sadly, most of my collection are 15mm and that may be a bit overkill. Guess I'll have to strip and recondition the Foundry Zulu War British I have.
Churchill wrote:Come on Jez get with the plan, Rob wasn't talking about the past primeminister although if you keep going on like that you may get a two fingered salute. :lol: :shock: :wink:

Ray.
Well, to put the former prime minister in period costume would require khaki, not red. He's a bit young for the other.