Donibruski

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Donibruski

Post by obriendavid » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:59 am

This is a project that has been on and off, mostly off, for the last two years and I thought I would post some pics of what I have been up to. The pics are not the best quality so apologies for that. Although this lot have been painted up primarily for Donnybrook they will also get used in any GNW or Napoleonic games.

This photo shows the force as it currently stands with two units of horse, one drilled and one veteran, three units of drilled musketeers, one unit of raw peasants, a gun and crew and a variety of characters.
I have another drilled unit of horse on the painting table half done but have been pushed aside by the Prussians I am currently working on. Still to be done at some point is more cavalry and mounted characters but I already have seven units to choose from at the moment I just need to get them into action. I'll post some close ups of the individual units and characters later.
Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Donibruski

Post by obriendavid » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:19 pm

This is my leader in the middle supported by a priest and standard bearer.

This is my packmaster Boris, I wanted something different for my Cossacks so I have Doris the bear which fights exactly the same as a pack of dogs.

Deadeye Dimitri is my huntsman/sniper.

Cossacks like guns so I wanted to include a light artillery piece to support them.
Limbered up and ready to roll.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:22 pm

This seemed to get deleted from the last post.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:29 pm

These are my three units of drilled musketeers.
Although I have classed them as drilled they are not trained to shoot in close order so do not get that bonus plus they have no sergeants to help them with their shooting, this makes them less effective against regular troops but that is what I was looking for. More to come.
Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:31 pm

This supply wagon could be used as extra ammo supply during the game or could be an objective marker for the enemy to capture or destroy.
Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:35 pm

Peasants defend their village led on by the priest who stays safely in the background. Most of these figures are from the Perry's retreat from Moscow range with a few additions from unknown manufacturers. I think there is even a Dixon dark age figure in there.
Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:41 pm

The top photo is my drilled cavalry and the bottom are veterans.
I have given all my Cossack cavalry the evade ability should they wish to avoid being charged by opposing troops or characters.
Once I eventually get around to painting mounted characters they will also have an expert horseman ability which will allow them to do special tricks, just to make them different from regular cavalry.
Cheers
Dave
arthur1905
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by arthur1905 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:37 pm

Dave,

What a superb project, it's looking great and I can't wait for your next update

Mark
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:33 pm

arthur1905 wrote:Dave,

What a superb project, it's looking great and I can't wait for your next update

Mark
Glad you like them Mark, I'm pleased with how they have all turned out.
As I mentioned previously I have another cavalry unit half painted so I might finish that off before doing more Prussians although I seem to on a roll with them just now and don't want to stall the project.
Apart from the cavalry I would also like to add a pike unit to the infantry as the Cossacks seemed to use quite a lot of pikes in their armies especially when facing strong cavalry armies. Most people always associate the Cossacks with masses of cavalry which they certainly used for fast raiding in land but when I was doing my research I discovered that a large percentage of their raids especially against the Turks were river and seaborne operations so some boats are another aspect I can add to this force.
Cheers
Dave
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:14 pm

These are fantastic, Dave... Mind if if I steal these for a guest post on the blog?
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:40 pm

Absolutly awesome!

Cossasks! Thousands of them!
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:53 pm

quindia wrote:These are fantastic, Dave... Mind if if I steal these for a guest post on the blog?
That would be fine Clarence. Barry had asked me to write an article on them but as yet I haven't managed to get anything done.

The other project I started about three years ago and have never photographed is my Vendee collection. I'm off work on Monday so perhaps I can get a chance then. I have just bought another load of figures to go with what I already have so more work to get done.
Cheers
Dave
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:08 pm

You've done most of the writing here! I'll edit this and have it up next week.. Thanks, and I'll take anything else you'd care to contribute!

Same goes for everyone else... Have a Donnybrook force you'd like featured on the blog? Drop me a PM...
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:33 pm

Very nice, look forward to seeing them on table.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:00 pm

Bogdan 'the battler' is the latest addition to my Cossack force and my first mounted character. I use him as my Great Warrior and he is armed to the teeth for any eventuality with a lance, mace (heavy weapon) long sword and a brace of pistols. I also class him as an expert horseman so no penalties for jumping obstacles or for shooting mounted.

To stop him becoming too powerful I only class him as using a d10 and I don't give him the evade ability as he's expected to get stuck in.
If I find he's too strong it's not a problem in my games as we usually switch sides and refight the battle again. Even if I made this character a d12 Bob would still manage to get him killed by 7 year old kids throwing snowballs.