charging and making the enemy run away like girls

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

charging and making the enemy run away like girls

Post by J Anderson » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:37 pm

Hi Barry

played a very enjoyable game last night with the boys but could you tell me if we did the right thing while charging. I passed a test to charge, the cavalry unit I was charging failed and routed which we did straight away. I then tried to test to rein in before I used all my normal movement and failed so I carried on. I then found out that if the enemy had passed it`s test and stood where it was I would of been just short of contact. So is this the right way to do it. If it this is the right way to do it, it would allow players to make the enemy test and if enemy cavalry unit was raw or had taken a few casualties then there would be a good chance it would bugger off after failing the test without you having to fight a melee. If this is the case then its a fiendishly clever little rule or am I wrong again.

Jim
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:42 am

Should you not measure that you are in charge reach before declaring a charge? that's how we do so you don't end up with the situation you had.

Cheers
Dave
Churchill
General
General

Charging and making the enemy run away like girls

Post by Churchill » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:47 pm

Hi Jim and Dave,

I did say on sunday that if the unit charging could not reach their target the charged unit shouldn't need to test even if the sequence of play says the charged unit should test morale before the chargers move.
So the way I see it and Barry puts it charging is always a gamble (You) declare charges without measuring first (Charge Marker placed) then you measure (wheeling must be made within the normal 8" move first) whatever normal movement is left is doubled for charging.
If after all manouvering and movement the chargers fail to hit home then the charged unit does not need to test and the chargers must suffer the consequences.
Hmm Jim at least my girls rallied on table unlike your pinko's who routed off table just because my light gun got a double zero on their two dice....it's a miracle....god be praised :lol:.......Ray.

J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Hi

I think pre measuring takes the fun out of it. In real life if your a bit of a weed and this big bloke starts chasing you, your arse goes and you leg it you don`t wait and see if he can catch you first. That is the case for the defence I thank you.

Jim.