New questions from a new member

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
General Overkirk

New questions from a new member

Post by General Overkirk » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:57 am

Hello,
I have just bought the rules and have tried them out, and I have a couple of questions. Some of the answers to my questions have already been answered in previous forum.
My first one is about Cavalry. Do they have a command radius from their brigadier, the infantry do have a command distance of 6", but nothing for the Cavalry. The only morale throw they have is if their brigadier is killed/captured within 6". It does seem to me that the squadrons could move anywhere around the battlefield without any form of problems with command.

2nd Question: Would it be reasonable to make the Marlburian armies a bit more stricter in moving, ie, keeping more in line formations.

I have 15mm armies of the Marlburian period, French, British, Dutch, Austrian, Prussian, Savoy and Portugal, and my friends have Swedish, Russian, Danish and Spanish.
I do like your rules, they are a bit more relaxed and not so formal (difficult to read) as others.
Keep up the good work

Best wishes,
Richard
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:30 pm

Welcome General Overkirk :D

Pls see below

My first one is about Cavalry. Do they have a command radius from their brigadier, the infantry do have a command distance of 6", but nothing for the Cavalry. The only morale throw they have is if their brigadier is killed/captured within 6". It does seem to me that the squadrons could move anywhere around the battlefield without any form of problems with command.
Cavalry commanders have the same command radius. If they are attached to a squadron they can of course affect morale but are also a potential casualty (see risk to generals). Yes the cavalry have far more leeway than the Foot and can tend to roam a bit. I did not introduce the same morale structure for testing cavalry morale as for infantry. I wanted cavalry to play a dominant role in the battles (as they did)2nd Question: Would it be reasonable to make the Marlburian armies a bit more stricter in moving, ie, keeping more in line formations.

I have 15mm armies of the Marlburian period, French, British, Dutch, Austrian, Prussian, Savoy and Portugal, and my friends have Swedish, Russian, Danish and Spanish.

I would have no objection to this but I am not actually that sure that tactics altered markedly in the few years between the close of the Nine Years War and the start of the Spnish Succession War. Tactics are affectively linear throughout. If you restricted ALL infantry movement to lines you may find the action slow to develop and also that units often failed to get into contact with each other.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford