Dismounted dragoons morale

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Dismounted dragoons morale

Post by J Anderson » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Hi Barry

Now got two bases of dismounted dragoons painted and fancy giving them an outing. I was wondering about some of the infantry morale modifiers and would they apply to dismounted dragoons. The one I was thinking of was out of command radius of brigade commander and maybe support. Like cavalry would dragoons have a free reign to operate a bit further afield than their infantry compardres.I get the impression that the duties of dragoons (mounted and dismounted) would be to scout, form skirmish lines and to take objectives for the following infantry as well as act as cavalry if need be. So on occassions they would operate on their own as regiments or squadrons at a bit of a distance from their brigade commanders. Is this a fair assumption.

Jim
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:12 am

Hi Jim,

interesting points.

The main function of the support rule is of course to encourage players to keep their brigades together! (as you know). Isolated units hairing off to undertake deeds of derring do are not in keeping with the linear type nature of army tactics.
The dragoons do perform a different role and I have tended to see them being slightly brittle in games when sent out to seize and hold a wood or field or churchyard etc. The element of vulnerability makes it nice and edgy. A good example in real life was the performance of O'Neill's Dragoons at Rossnaree... isolated and initially performing well but vulnerable without support.
My next suggestion is that you actually paint another two bases( how about 4?) and form a small brigade of dragoons.. this is what I have in my French Army. They then provide mutual support and with the foot/mounted capability are quite versatile. One or two regiments can dismount and give support fire whils the remainder charge!

Another house rule you may wish to enact if you have two regiments is that in the dismounted role.. to be supported by a single friendly battalion is enough to count supported. I think I wrote a similar scenario specific rule into the Shannon scenario in BLB.. or did I?? :shock: :shock: Wrote it somewhere I seem to remember :oops:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:13 pm

Hi Barry

Cheers, or better still I could persuade someone else to get some as well. As my next purchase is going to be a shoddily dressed Irish battalion.

Jim