newbie here

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
ghorvers
Private
Private

newbie here

Post by ghorvers » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:15 am

Hi,
Just ordered the rules after dithering, oh i guess about a couple of years. I have wanted to do something with the GNW for ages and BLB seems to fit the bill nicely. I have little experience with the period except for painting some 6mm forces and reading...lots of reading.

A few basic questions -
I intend to use Reiver or Musketeer GNW figures, I assume these mix?
Also, how many figures are needed for a basic starter game?
I intend to buy both Swedes ad Russians, so I can get started, and try out the rules, ad expand later. Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Geert
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:19 pm

Hi Geert,

Reiver and Musketeer will mix but don't put them in the same units. I would probably buy Musketeer Swedish infantry, use Reiver for the cavalry(many nice models in this range). Russians - any of the two manufacturers would be a good choice. They are both expanding their ranges continuously.
Reiver actually sell BLB battlaion packs with bases included and will actually give yo what you are after in terms of mix if you ask.. they are the 'old style' gentlemen wargames traders.. nothing is too much bother! Not the commodity driven product route to market forced by the biger companies.
4 infantry units per side would be a good start with perhaps 6-8 squadrons of cavalry. The Russians should outnumber the Swedes or they will have no real chance unless behind prepared defences OR you give them 3-4 guns. So maybe go for less Sweds and more Russians!
Your Russians could have Saxon Allies early in the war. The Danes can fight your Swedes also early in the War. The Saxons could have some Polish types in their army too.

Lots to play around with... POLTAVA is the most famous battle and rightly so but all of the conflict is interesting. The Russians could also fight the Ottomans!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
ghorvers
Private
Private

Post by ghorvers » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:44 pm

Thanks Barry,
That's useful info. Infantry units are around 18-24 figures, right? How many per squadron for Cavalry?

Cheers,
Geert
ghorvers
Private
Private

Post by ghorvers » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:03 pm

Never mind, as I found it's 6 based on two stands. I promise I'll read through the older posts and use the search option next time :-)

Cheers,
Geert
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:45 pm

Just played 1st game of btlb, got to say Barry, nice set of rules, well thought out, with all the best elements of other rules that I have encountered/played in the past.

:D
Cheer M
"There's no booze, there's no broads, there's no action!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:15 pm

Thanks Martin :D
I never knew you were into this period.. who were you gaming with?
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:05 pm

The usual suspects, me, George and William. We tried it out using Poles v's Turks. I am in the initial stages of adding to the 25mm Swedes I got from under the bed enterprise a while back also. We are going to try the system for 7 years war as well. :D
"There's no booze, there's no broads, there's no action!