Units who break after melee

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
simon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Units who break after melee

Post by simon » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:43 pm

A quick question, although I might have missed it in the book, when an infantry unit break after a melee, does this indicate a rout move or is the unit completely broken and thus dispersed?

Similarly, a cavalry squadron who breaks an enemy will test for pursuit, if it fails it carries on. However, if it passes and halts, does it require a full turn to re order in place or does it need to retire to a position of safety first? ( we had two squadrons, after routing enemy cavalry, decided to start a flank attack on some infantry who broke, they then pursued and when they halted were behind enemy lines)

Thank you in advance
Churchill
General
General

Units who lose a melee

Post by Churchill » Tue May 05, 2009 4:42 pm

Hello again Simon,

I missed this question first time out, but seeing as I answered your last question here go's.......
Again Page 20 of BLB "infantry charges & melee".
Firstly infantry do not automatically break after losing a melee.
Break, rout or the unit completely broken and thus dispersed all mean the same thing (at least to me) :? .
If infantry lose a melee they are pushed back 2" before Morale is tested.
Raw infantry Break on first push back, Drilled on second, Elite on third and Guard on forth consecutive push back.
Next comes Morale on Page 23, all infantry with a better class than Raw will now test under the circumstance of "Lost melee and pushed back this turn".With the result being 4+ the infantry will "Carry On" and continue fighting.On the result of 3 - 2 the infantry are "Shaken" and may not advance, if the enemy follow up they may continue the melee.On the result of 1 the infantry "Retreat" a full move away from the enemy facing away.Finally on a 0 or less the infantry "Rout" charge move away from the enemy again with backs to the enemy and if contacted are destroyed.
Next comes the cavalry on Page 24, if a squadron fails to stop pursuit, they continue to pursue.Cavalry Pursuit Page 16, Horse must pursue for one turn unless passing their morale test to cease pursuit.This is taken immediately upon breaking the enemy.Cavalry pursue at normal movement speed plus a D10 and pursuers who lose contact must rally for the next turn.Cavalry have the option of rallying on the spot or rallying back if they qualify, but you'll have to ask Barry about this one because I can't find it :shock: the pursuers must reform which takes a full move.They can counter charge if charged, but they must allow 2D6 in inches for the enemy to move first before their own counter charge starts and must move a minimum of 3" before contact.

I hope this helps.............Ray.