cavalry versus infantry melees

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
simon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by simon » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:14 pm

I have been reading some of the other posts covering this aspect of the game but have a further question.

Two squadrons of cavalry in combat with one infantry battalion, the infantry are then reinforced by another thus the combat continues past the original three rounds. the first infantry unit then break, the question is do all the cavalry pursue that one unit or can one of the squadrons then join combat with the other infantry unit that joined the combat?

The infantry unit in question was Kirke's that once again, although being classified as eliter, broke and ran away leaving the Royal regiment standing.

Thanks
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:27 pm

Simon,

in such a case both cavalry squadrons continue to fight the remaining infantry. Neither pursue the broken unit at that point.

Hope this helps
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
simon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by simon » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Thanks Barry, we did it wrong (again). Just one of those situations where either option seems correct although I can now understand your rationale. The cavalry will be stopped from pursuing due to formed infantry standing in their way.

By the way, hopefully my club will be running a BLB game at Valhalla in June so if anyone is around that part of the world on father's day why not come along.

:D
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:43 pm

Hi Simon & Barry,

I have a question to ask about this melee and that is were the two squadrons of the same regiment one behind the other or individual squadrons fighting side by side???
If it was a regiment of multi-squadrons then these can't break off to act independently and so had to carry on fighting the reinforced infantry as Barry said....., but if the squadrons were not of the same regiment and one of them had no infantry in base contact then these could purse and if making contact with the routing infantry, in this case "Kirke's" how very dare they; their destroyed.

Kind Regards..........Ray.

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:36 am

I don't agree with this Ray. If extra cavalry had joined an existing melee with the purpose of winning that melee then they must stay in the fight until ALL opponents are destroyed, surrendered or routed. The compulsion would I think be to eliminate resistance and not to butcher men who were already beaten and fleeing.

I hope this clarifies :D

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:30 pm

Hi Barry,

I think you've got lost somewhere up in those highlands of your's :lol: .
Simon states in his 1st post that his two squadrons are in combat with Kirke's Foot, but fail's to mention wether the cavalry squadrons are fighting in column or side by side.
Kirke's boy's manage to stand against this onslaught and are reinforced by the Royal regiment next round.Unfortunatly Kirke's regiment breaks leaving the Royal regiment to fight on (or at least as I read it).
If as I said in my last post the cavalry were not of the same regiment and fighting side by side and if the routing Kirke's Foot released one of these squadrons who were not in contact with the other Royal Foot regiment could not this squadron then pursue the routing Foot.

I apologise if I've missed or misunderstood something here, but that's how I interpret the Melee Rules in BLB.It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong :roll: .

Kind Regards............Ray.

Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:02 am

Hello Barry
The compulsion would I think be to eliminate resistance and not to butcher men who were already beaten and fleeing.
I don't know of any examples in our period but during the ECW royalist cavalry would chase beaten infantry miles away from the main battle.

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:55 am

Hi Ray,

probably some clarification required all round.
Infantry cannot reinforce a melee against cavalry because infantry cannot charge cavalry under any circumstances.
So probably best if Simon lays it out again from the beginning then we'll all stop being confused!

Henry Ford
simon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by simon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:31 am

Ok chaps, in the light of Barry's last post, I played it wrong as the royal regiment joined the melee when, in fact, they could not have done as they cannot charge cavalry.

However, in another instance, where another unassociated cavalry squadron charges home and reinforce the melee, they can either charge into the second regiment or reinforce the first melee. In this case, do I understand that if the first foot regiment breaks, the first cavalry squadron will then either reinforce the second squadron (do they need to test to charge home as they are nearby) or, persue the broken foot regiment.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:40 am

Hello Simon,

First of all, Barry is correct in that infantry can only charge Shaken or Disordered infantry or a defended obstacle, where as Tribal infantry can charge anything.It's all there on Page 20 of BLB under infantry charges and melee.
Troops must declare a charge to reinforce a melee and must have room for at least one full base to make contact.Your latest question on your melee situation still needs clarification, but I'll have a go.
Two independant cavalry squadrons charge two infantry battalions standing side by side.The total frontage of the two infantry battalion is 270mm (2 x 135mm) where as the total frontage of two cavalry squadrons is 240mm (2 x 120mm).If one squadron hits a infantry battalion square on then the second squadron hits both infantry battalions as 15mm is free.....I hope your following this......
If the first battalion breaks and routs which was fully hit by one full squadron and part of the other, this will release one squadron to continue pursuit where as the second squadron must continue to melee the second battalion.....Are you still with me???......Follow on.......
If it was the second battalion who broke and routed neither of the two squadrons could pursue as both are in contact with the first battalion and must continue to fight.
The reason why infantry can't charge is that they tended to rely more and more on fire power and the tactic of the period was to march upto a enemy infantry formation and trade drilled volley fire until one of them broke.Pikes were still carried to ward off cavalry, but with the first plug and then socket bayonet these disappeared and cavalry were usually left to deal with enemy cavalry.

Hope this helps................Ray.

simon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by simon » Fri May 01, 2009 7:49 am

Thank you Ray, it helps a great deal. I now know where I went wrong and the cavalry should have persued the broken infantry. I guess they could only test to rein in during the following turn thus the infantry would have waved good bye never to return.

Thanks for all your help.

Simon