BLB in other periods

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Saxon Warrior
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

BLB in other periods

Post by Saxon Warrior » Sat May 02, 2009 10:59 am

I wonder if anyone has given any thought to using BLB for other eras. There are so many good things about the rules that, to my mind, suggest the basic mechanisms should be used for other eras.
My interest is in the AWI, American Revolution, whatever you decide to call it. The main problem, in my humble opinion is the use of open order infantry. Has anyone any ideas as to overcome this problem?
BLB would seem to be ideal for this era as there were relatively few cavalry to ride round butchering the infantry. Also the command/control rules seem ideal to recreate the difficulty of getting "Militia" type troops to obey orders.
Comments Gentlemen?
Dave B
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat May 02, 2009 11:41 am

Dave,

thanks for the kind words and......... what a timely question!!!

In next months issue of WI (I think), there is an article which I have written on the New England Militia's 'invasion' of Quebec in 1690. As it is a three scenario piece for BLB I had to write supplementary mechanisms for Canadian Militia and Indians. These supplementary rules are included in the article. I think they will be fine as written OR may be adapted moderately to accommodate the tactics of the AWI. The Indians and French 'open order' troops (Including regulars - Franches de la Marine) have superior shooting capability in open order but inferior melee capability. There is no restriction on close order infantry charging 'non shaken' opponents. The three scenarios would transfer without alteration to:
French & Indian Wars
AWI

Let me know what you think

cheers

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Saxon Warrior
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Other periods

Post by Saxon Warrior » Fri May 22, 2009 9:52 pm

Mr. Hilton,

I've read the article you recommended re using "light troops", for want of a better name as a way of being able to use BLB for the AWI. The ideas seem very useful but I'd be interested to know what you'd suggest for basing "light troops", riflemen, Indians etc.

Thanks in advance,
DaveB
P. S. I've forgotten who wrote the excellent article referred to above, but I believe he was from somewhere in the frozen North.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:01 pm

Hello Dave,

I had the indians based singly. I do however have some multi basing ideas.
My favourite base shape for loose order troops is a hex. They fit together in a very nice way and produce irregular but distinguishable unit shapes. I have used it before for Dark Age light cavalry (Huns) which were based two per hex. For infantry skirmishers in the Napoleonic period I am basing them singly on 40mm hexes and for infantry operating in loose order for urban fighting(Napoleonics again) I am basing them two or three to a base on slightly larger hexes.
I think it would work extremely well for Canadian Militia, AWI light infantry and militia too.

Hope this helps :D

Henry Ford
Saxon Warrior
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Other periods

Post by Saxon Warrior » Sat May 23, 2009 9:09 am

Thanks for your prompt reply. I was thinking of basing light troops, please see earlier definition, either singly on 2p coins or pairs on a standard base.
Do people think these would be too close for skirmish troops? or does anyone else have any thought that I can steal.

Thanks in advance,
DaveB.
Wayne A Turner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wayne A Turner » Tue May 26, 2009 11:10 am

I was thinking of using BLB for TYW. What modifications would you suggest for the Musketeers and Pikemen?
Wayne
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri May 29, 2009 6:21 pm

Hello Wayne, sorry for the late reply.

The TYW/ECW might stretch the rules a bit but off the top of my head the cavalry stuff would work fine. The infantry firing would work fine,
The close combat would be the area of 'thought'

Battalions should be allowed to charge ANY other FOOT irregardless of command state of the target unit.

Combat modifiers could be worked out thus:

1. Number of stands (as per current rules)
PLUS
A variable modifier for charging depending on the proportion of PIKE to SHOT

ie:

CHARGE BONUS

All musket +2
1: 3 Pike to musket +3
1: 2 Pike to musket +4
1:1 Pike to musket +5

PIKE BONUS ONLY APPLICABLE IF UNIT IS NOT DISORDERED.

In defence if NOT SHAKEN or DISORDERED:

Formed pikes allow a saving throw against each KILL.

I think that is simple and will work... let me know all you TYWers out there! 8)
Last edited by barr7430 on Sat May 30, 2009 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Henry Ford
Wayne A Turner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wayne A Turner » Sat May 30, 2009 12:59 am

Thanks, I'll give it a go when I get myself organised.
Wayne