Morale

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
flick40
Major General
Major General

Morale

Post by flick40 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:10 am

We had some weird situations tonight mainly due to both players having plodding generals. Here's one of them

Situation, infantry battalion routs. Plodding general rolls 'zero' units to command the next turn. No chance to rally those troops as they cannot get a rally command. Do routers make another rout move or do they sit in place until a rally command comes along so they can test?
J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi

If a general rolls low and can`t issue any orders this will not stop any units rallying. A rally order is so to speak a free action.

Jim
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks.

The only other true historical gamer in my area is a rules writer himself and can never leave a set of rules alone. One of his complaints about BLB is morale, he would rather see standardization ie. the 6 being bad for cavalry and good for infantry, he asks why?. I have no problem with the rules as written and during game play its seamless. I see no need to change rules baring rare exceptions.
J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:51 pm

Hi

It is strange for a set of rules to have two morale systems. I think the reason why is that of the different unit sizes. infantry are in battalion sized units while cavalry are only in squadrons. If cavalry where in regiments then they would have the same morale system as the infantry or vice versa. However I`ve never had a problem with either of them.

Jim
Churchill
General
General

Multi Squadron Combat

Post by Churchill » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:57 pm

Hi Jim,

I know you don't play the BLB rules these days, but I'm affraid your wrong about single squadron units as cavalry can operate in multi squadron regiments.If you read the section on "the all or nothing charge option for horse" on page 22 it tells you that multi squadron regiments charging the same target with each squadron in base contact behind the other fights with all the front rank, half the second and then 2 figures from each subsequent rank.Therefore a regiment of four squadrons would fight with 13 figures.
For morale one test is taken for the entire regiment by averaging the number of figures across the squadrons.
Casualties incurred during the charge home are distributed evenly across the squadrons or if a single casualty this falls on the first squadron.
One of my Marlburian regiments "Lumley's Horse" has 3 squadron's and the Hesse-Kassel regiment "Erbprinz Dragoons" attached to Ross's Cavalry Brigade has 4 squadron's.If refighting the Boyne as I did at the Derby Show, Eppinger's Gardes te Dragoons had 6 squadron's.

Regards...........Ray.

j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:29 am

fully agree with Ray here. I have played a very large number of BLB games, (80+) and like the morale system exactly as it is. it gives a very good representation of the period without adding further unnecessary complication.
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:53 am

I have played a very large number of BLB games, (80+) and like the morale system exactly as it is.
Why aren't there more like minded players in my area?! We played a BLB game Monday night, one of the players made comments like :"these rules may be historically accurate but they are not historically fun" He was upset he couldn't form from column to line and wheel to avoid interpenetration of another unit in line. I took his comments with a grain of salt as he is a fantasy gamer, win at all costs and a rules exploiter. He also doesn't understand military history. My kingdom for more historical gamers!

BTW I like the morale rules as they are. :)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:56 am

Guys,

this info is really valuable to me and I'll tell you why....

BLB has pretty much sold out now. I am making a decision about reprint and at the same time reviewing a couple of the mechanics as well as inputing a lot more qualification information to make interpretation less like Interpretation and more like.. understanding!
It is my plan to reissue the rules with many play amendments and I was in the process of reviewing cavalry morale right now. There have been some complaints about the morale system for Horse in the past and I had an open mind about a change so it is really good to hear positive comment about that one in particular. If BLB users want to chip in any other mechanics comments on this thread I am ALL EARS...
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

All Ears!!!

Post by Churchill » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:12 am

If BLB users want to chip in any other mechanics comments on this thread I am ALL EARS...
Morning Big Ears....I mean Barry, :lol:

I'm pleased BLB has done so well since it's release and I for one have no problems with the rules what so ever.When I first started playing them a few issues did crop up as they weren't very well explained and this lead to how individual's Interpreted certain sections of the rules.Thankfully due to this forum, our questions and Barry's very hot iron, the misunderstandings were ironed out for us to understand.
Wargaming is a massive hobby and there must be thousands of sets of rules out there for all periods.Some "Gamers" as Flick40 said must win at all costs and try to twist or change the rules to suit themselves.
Not having any Army Lists or a Points System is another big issue for some wargamers.Barry and I know of a person who decided upon doing the Danish for the Boyne, brought some figures from Reiver Castings and then declared my Guard will be Guard and everything else will be Elite!!! After I stopped laughing, I told him they wouldn't be any such thing and only Drilled at best and that the cavalry might be Raw.The "Gamer" didn't like this, spat his dummy out and complained to Barry, said the Rules were rubbish and knowing the owners of Reiver Castings asked for his money back, how childish is that and this came from a guy in his 30's :roll: :cry:
I find a easy way round of not having a set of Army Lists is to have 10% of your army as Guard, say 20% as Elite and the rest Drilled if for some reason you need to use Raw units not Tribesmen then increase the percentage of Elite by the percentage of Raw used and Artillery are never higher than Drilled.
The BLB rules in general are fine the way they are, its the people using them that need bringing upto spec.

Hope this helps

Regards........Ray.

J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:14 pm

Hi Ray

I think you misundertood what I was meaning. I was only trying to show why there are two morale systems. If a Cavalry unit was in fact depicted on the table the same as infantry (ie as a unit of 600-800 men or 18 figures) then you could use the same morale system. I find fighting with cavalry squadrons more historically correct and more enjoyable. They are very delicate and make you think more because once you take a few hits the`re a bugger to pass their morale. So therefore you have to judge the right time to wade in.

Jim
PS (I still play the odd game with a modified version)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:37 pm

Jim... what have you modified... now is REALLY the time to tell me!!!!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:08 pm

I havent seen this anywhere that I can recall so we changed the infantry following up rule.

Infantry in defended obstacle such as redoubt, field work, village or defending a river and win the melee against charging infantry do not follow up. It still counts as a push-back. The combatants remain in contact and another melee is fought the next turn as long as the push-back totals for the morale grade are not met. Why? Because the attacker is trying to get in, the defender is not trying to get out.

If I think of any other examples I will post them.
J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:45 pm

Hi Barry

The modifications normally used are for us naturists in the club;

1) no clothing allowed apart from a cocked hat

2) naked figures (where available)

3) Change any rule that makes me lose.

Jim