Infantry Charges

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Chad
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Infantry Charges

Post by Chad » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:08 am

We had an incident last night in our Marlburian game.

A French battalion declared a charge on a shaken English battalion. However, on testing to receive the charge the English battalion threw high enough to remove his shaken marker. We assumed that as a result the charge was negated. Is that correct?

Chad
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:20 pm

The way we would play it is that the French were allowed to declare the charge because the enemy were shaken but as they charged the enemy pulled themselves together in time but we would still allow them to continue with the charge but the outcome will probably not be so good for them. This is just my view and others may disagree with it.

Cheers
Dave
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:16 pm

I would allow the charge as they were shaken at the time declared. In all things as with war there is always luck. Shaken is a mental state and disorder a physical one. The charging unit would see the waivering in their eyes and charge but then the commander would say something profound and stiffen their resolve. English were notorious for their steadfastness, this just proves the point. :)
Churchill
General
General

Infantry Charges

Post by Churchill » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I totally agree with Dave's & Flick40's explainations of what happened here (the colour sergeant must have went round having a quite word) as the charge came in "Steady Lads Steady".

Regards..........Ray.

flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:28 pm

An epiffany of sorts about BLB as a whole. It's not about winning and losing a game. It's about the fun, accepting the results and using your imagination to pull yourself into the game to visualize the events as they unfold. Every game is a story.

One advantage this period has over later ones is its child like approach to warfare. Though each countries strategic aims were serious, most early tactical fights were anything but bumbling affairs as each army figures out new tactics and the best way to use new inventions on the field of battle. "By God man, I think you're onto something!"

If you haven't, read the event cards. Those are the period in which we play this game. :)
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:47 am

flick40 wrote:It's about the fun, accepting the results and using your imagination to pull yourself into the game to visualize the events as they unfold. If you haven't, read the event cards. Those are the period in which we play this game. :)
I wonder how many people actually use the event cards?
So far I haven't tried them although we use special events in many other periods and they can add a special touch to games.

My favourite games with event cards have been the LOGW WW2 games using the special cards that Barry produced. He should think about publishing them some time.

Cheers
Dave
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:16 am

I havent used them yet and they are really suited for larger games than the small ones I have played so far. But if you read them you get a feel for this period.