First tryouts and questions about charging and columns

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
FrankD

First tryouts and questions about charging and columns

Post by FrankD » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:56 pm

Hello,

Our club has started the WSS using the BLB ruleset. And after a couple of tryout games we ended up with the following questions.

The following situation occurred.
The enemy was deployed in line with a gun base resting it's flank on a wooded area with next to it a battalion in line with next to that another batallion in line.
After some manouvering I managed to bring up three cavalry squadrons in line all within charge distance.

Three charges where declared, one for the gun (passed) and two othes for the two infantry batallions (both failed).

The gunners elected for business elswhere after a failed being charged test failed.

However I elected not to reign in. So I had to do the full charge distance as a (I presumed) compulsary move. Since the charge was at a 45ish degree angle towards the gun it ended up straight into the infantery batallion lined up next to the field gun.

The question arose what should happen next.
Does the cavalry stop because some' hidden force field' prevents contact because the initial charge was only declared to a different unit?
My opponents claim was that this is customary in other rule sets and this set isn't clear about this.

Or is the infantry contacted and should test for being charged in a similar fashion as is the case when contatced by a squadron in persuit.
Test for being charged and re-act according to the outcome.
Stand and deliver or fail and join the gunners ?

My viewpoint is that a charging squadron doesn't stops in it tracks just because an infantry line happens to present itself as an opportunity.
Where is the logic in that?

If the infantry manages to stand after passing the test and deliver a devestating volley then the squadron might end up the gunners way in the oppsosit direction.

Another issue that popped up during our evaluation.

Is a column a valid (effective) fighting formation in this period?
The rulebook refers to march columns as viable formations for cavalry and infantry.

From an answer in another topic a got that a cavalry squadron column in a village wasn't a threat to infantry because the squadron could only move trough in column and therefore isn't a threat.

Can a cavalry charge when not formed in line? Can it have the same momentum (first rond kills at (4),5 and 6) as a cavalry charge in line?

Another isssue we ran into was my allies infantry in column was charged by cavalry in line. The defending player claimed that because his infantry tested succesfull it therefore should be able to fire in defence albeit with one stand only. (To me that doesn't feel right for the period. )

Can a column formation put up a volley with the same fire effect as a single stand line ,1/3rd of a battalion , claiming first volley bonus and possible 'short range' fire effect?

Can anyone help us out with these questions?

Thanks in advance and

Regards,

Frank
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:29 am

I have some experience with the v1 BLB rules and am currently testing the v2 BLB rule set so I'll answer as best as I can. My answers aren't gospel, but only how I would rule your situations.

The following situation occurred.
The enemy was deployed in line with a gun base resting its flank on a wooded area with next to it a battalion in line with next to that another battalion in line. After some maneuvering I managed to bring up three cavalry squadrons in line all within charge distance.

Three charges where declared, one for the gun (passed) and two others for the two infantry battalions (both failed).

The gunners elected for business elsewhere after a being charged test failed.
I will take this as a retreat or rout result since anything greater is a pass and they would be destroyed upon contact. There is no fire and retire option in v1 so they either stand and die or run away. As these troops are civilians I would allow them to abandon their guns if they passed morale. In reality they would run to the infantry battalion for protection. If routed removed from play

However I elected not to reign in. So I had to do the full charge distance as a (I presumed) compulsory move. Since the charge was at a 45ish degree angle towards the gun it ended up straight into the infantry battalion lined up next to the field gun.
The charge goes through until contact is made with your charge target, the guns, and stops disordered. This is done in the charge move phase. The gunners ran away before you got there so no close combat ensued. (I would have attempted to reign in the charge) That ends your charge move, there is no breakthrough or pursuit because there was no combat. You also mention the charge was at a 45 degree angle. Aside from some wheeling, which is deducted from normal movement and reduces overall charge distance, the charge must be straight ahead.

The question arose what should happen next.
Does the cavalry stop because some' hidden force field' prevents contact because the initial charge was only declared to a different unit?
My opponents claim was that this is customary in other rule sets and this set isn't clear about this.
They stop because you reached your intended target

Or is the infantry contacted and should test for being charged in a similar fashion as is the case when contacted by a squadron in pursuit.
Test for being charged and re-act according to the outcome.
Stand and deliver or fail and join the gunners?
Had the gunners passed morale when contacted they would have been destroyed. Your horse would again have stopped because there are no gunners to pursue.

My viewpoint is that a charging squadron doesn't stops in it tracks just because an infantry line happens to present itself as an opportunity.
Where is the logic in that?
You are correct, they wouldn't stop because of the infantry unit. In this case they stopped because they are busy destroying the guns, powder, limbers or anything else.

If the infantry manages to stand after passing the test and deliver a devastating volley then the squadron might end up the gunner’s way in the opposite direction.
Now lets forget about the guns because there was no pursuit. Had your initial target been an infantry battalion and you managed to rout it in melee you now have a pursuit situation. You roll D10 and add 8 inches for your pursuit distance. If a second infantry battalion is in the way of your pursuit they test for being charged. If they pass there is no chance to shoot before contact is made. v1 (and v2) have no opportunity fire by design. This second melee is then fought.

Another issue that popped up during our evaluation.

Is a column a valid (effective) fighting formation in this period?
The rulebook refers to march columns as viable formations for cavalry and infantry.
Not for fighting, only moving.

From an answer in another topic a got that a cavalry squadron column in a village wasn't a threat to infantry because the squadron could only move trough in column and therefore isn't a threat.
Correct in that cavalry and infantry can only move through built up areas in column. An infantry unit does not occupy the buildings but rather forms in line on the edge of town, preferably behind a linear obstacle. A horse unit could charge them from outside the town but there would be no pursuit. There are no skirmish troops in this period enough to make rules for.

Can a cavalry charge when not formed in line? Can it have the same momentum (first round kills at (4), 5 and 6) as a cavalry charge in line?
No

Another issue we ran into was my allies’ infantry in column was charged by cavalry in line. The defending player claimed that because his infantry tested successful it therefore should be able to fire in defense albeit with one stand only. (To me that doesn't feel right for the period.)
I would allow the fire with no modifiers, their response would be sporadic at best

Can a column formation put up a volley with the same fire effect as a single stand line ,1/3rd of a battalion , claiming first volley bonus and possible 'short range' fire.
I would say no