Questions on BLB 2

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Charles XII
Corporal
Corporal

Questions on BLB 2

Post by Charles XII » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:29 pm

Hello,

would be happy if someone could answer me the following questions.
I have the R2E rules and would like to know in how far the mechanism of combat groups and Movement Points has been adopted for BLB 2. And in what sizes will the units in BLB 2 be? Both in terms of total number of models and in numbers of bases. What about skirmishers? 95% of all military actions at that time were partisan warfare*

Thanks a lot
Charles XII

*partisan warfare in the sense of what it ment in the late 17th/early 18th century.
Please Note that there are more importent things in my life than wargaming. So please don´t be angry if it takes some days or weeks until I answer a post, even if I try to answer as fast as possible.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:53 pm

Unit sizes are the same as in the old set.
The R2E combat mechanisms have been adopted for BLB2 but instead of counting combat groups of four figures each infantry stand or squadron of cavalry counts as a combat group. As far as I remember there are no rules for skirmishers except for irregular cavalry.

Cheers
Dave
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:43 pm

How have the mechanism of combat groups and Movement Points have been adopted for BLB 2?
There are no use of movement points or "exploitation" like RtE. Combat groups equate to stands in BLB. How many figures per stand doesn't matter (see next answer) as figures have no direct bearing on combat outcome.

What sizes will the units in BLB 2 be? Both in terms of total number of models and in numbers of bases.

Same standard as BLB1 is used. 3 stands of 4-6 figures = one battalion (a 4th stand of 3-5 pike figures where applicable) and 2 stands of 4-6 figures = one squadron.
What about skirmishers?
'Sir, not appearing in this film' for the most part.

Joe
Charles XII
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Charles XII » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:06 am

Thanks for the answers.

Maybe just as a mind game, what if one would use the Movement Point System for the Era of Louis XIV´s? Lets say a brigade remains a brigade (in gaming terms), the Division commander becomes a commander of the center/wings and the Korps commander becomes the C-in-C. What do you think? Would it work or is it just a stupid idea to apply such a good gaming system to such an interesting era?

Greetings
Charles XII
Please Note that there are more importent things in my life than wargaming. So please don´t be angry if it takes some days or weeks until I answer a post, even if I try to answer as fast as possible.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:54 am

It would work Karl XII, I just didn't want to make both system too similar. I have had enough complaints about the things I have actually changed in BLB from first to second edition!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Charles XII
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Charles XII » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:03 am

I have had enough complaints about the things I have actually changed in BLB from first to second edition!
Can imagine that!
Also I would give it a try, just thought about using singel models for the units too so they could be represented in actual strength and casulty removel would be more accurate. I will post here when I have finished first tests.

Greetings
Charles XII