Solo Play

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
jmsl31

Solo Play

Post by jmsl31 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:04 pm

Hello, I am a new player of Benith the Lily Banners and have a question. While there is much welcome information about uniforms , flags and history, I cannot find anything about solo play with these rules. I live in Montana, USA and cannot find another gamer in town so I would welcome any thoughts or ideas. Best Regards James
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Solo Play

Post by Russian James » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:31 pm

Now that sounds like a really good idea...!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:39 pm

Well now, solo play.......

I would suggest using the rules as normal but placing more emphasis on the events section to create the randomness which could act as substitute for another mind. There will be a series of cards trialled at our big game in Derby October 13/15. These will become commercially available after that. I would also recommend the 'battle plan' mentioned at the beginning of the rules. Orders should then be given in line with the battle plan. Sufficient unpredictability should be the result. Would be interested to hear how you get on.

cheers

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:55 pm

Sounds interesting Barry???? :idea:
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:26 pm

Ahh, so this isn't about lying on your left arm till it goes numb then? :oops: :lol:

Bill
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:25 pm

I have a lot of solo game experience. Barry's tips are great and I'd like to add the following:

1. Set concrete goals for your scenario. Choosing goals that are not necessarily the same gives a more interesting battle. Charging both forces to capture the same hill may simply lead to a scrum at the top and a predictable game. Maybe the blue force wants to capture and hold a bridge, but the red force is attempting to push a convoy across the river and must delay blue long enough to accomplish this.
2. Design scenarios with definite attackers and defenders. The army defending a position has limited options initially and lets you concentrate on running the attackers. An ambush also works well where the attackers will operate under preplanned orders mainly based on their deployment and your creativity as a player will be to extricate the surprised force.
3. For meeting engagements, have units march onto the field at random times, arriving at random points. The battle report in the rulebook is an excellent example of what I'm describing. You will find you have your hands full just trying to deploy battle lines!
4. Definitely use the Events rules - this will introduce a level of chaos that makes up for the surprises you might encounter against a live opponent.

Hope that helps - let us know how you get on!