TAG Renaissance Ottomans - Suitable?

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Orctrader
Private First Class
Private First Class

TAG Renaissance Ottomans - Suitable?

Post by Orctrader » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:02 pm

OK, I know I haven't painted my ex-Glory of the Sun figures yet - I'm a slow painter! But somewhere in the lead pile, I mean somewhere in my unpainted figure collection :roll: I have a stack of the TAG Ottomans. Wondering if these would be suitable for the period covered by BLB?

Don't recall exactly what I have apart from one artillery piece and crew and lots of infantry - I didn't buy them, but swapped for some painted figures the owner wanted. I do have figures with muskets - not sure about pikemen though. And seem to recall figures with swords and shields.

So, what's useable and what's not?
flick40
Major General
Major General

Re: TAG Renaissance Ottomans - Suitable?

Post by flick40 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:03 pm

Just my take but for me the beauty of Ottomans is you can use them from 1690 (probably earlier) all the way up to napoleonic period. Desert dress didnt change that much in 100+ years. I'm sure there are some nuances other people can point out..
Rohan Wilmott
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:15 pm

Gidday, Orctrader!
The Ottomans are the long time & classic opponent for the Austrian Imperials including the BLB era. I am no Ottoman expert, but I do not recall reading about Ottoman pikemen, but they certainly used muskets & spears & swords aplenty. Their dress was likely very similar for most of the period from the Renaissance to the Napoleonic era (to the untrained eye anyway). You will need lots of cavalry, though. They did like their big guns, too. I'm sure Barry & the other learned chaps on this site will give you some guidelines on types, uniforms & basing.
Cheers, Rohan.
Mats
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Mats » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:24 pm

Hi Orctrader,

Take a look at this site which I mentioned earlier in another thread.
http://www.tuerkenbeute.de/

Cheers,

Mats