Commanded Shot...

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Commanded Shot...

Post by andy thompson » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:20 am

...or Commando Shot as I think they ought to be re-named :wink:

So, having just returned from Derby (or was it Drogheda?) and seen these guys work in anger for the first time, I was a little surprised at how effective they turned out to be.

One party of six models (so an independent base effectively) took out just under 50% of Battalion Ghenk (8 hits) before the Williamite commanders opposite decided to reform three full battalions of foot around their hide-out and line up a devastating first volley to deal with them. At that point we decided they'd seek terms :shock: rather than try to see that out - they'd done their job.

Later on another Commando effectively saw off three damaged squadrons of cavalry by simply adding two wounds to each of them as they passed by or eventually tried to charge them. Decent rolling but not outrageous. That was when I personaly decided I'd never use them to shoot at anything but cavalry again. Two wounds immediately puts cavalry at a morale check and a -1 to resolve it.

How about a modification to their effectiveness that means they can only ever score 1 wound from a volley? Then they become the nuisance they should be but ultimately ignorable once you pass their position?

Andy
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Commanded Shot...

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Andy,

I didn't notice that :shock:

I think you are referring to this "Forlorne Hope"-Card or what it's name was?
I can follow your lead but I have one point to add.
This troops could represent Grenadiers to show their 'Elite' Status and ability for such smashing results.

Only my opinion so...

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by andy thompson » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:48 am

Friedrich August I. wrote:Andy,

I didn't notice that :shock:

I think you are referring to this "Forlorne Hope"-Card or what it's name was?
I can follow your lead but I have one point to add.
This troops could represent Grenadiers to show their 'Elite' Status and ability for such smashing results.

Only my opinion so...

Günter
I believe the rules are supposed to cover any single base unit, Grenadiers, Dragoons, Commanded Shot or Forlorne Hopes. There were a few about as well as those provided by the card.

Andy
ColinN
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by ColinN » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:39 am

Felt the rule forcing the artillery to shoot at a highly depleted group of skirmishers and ignoring the bl**dy big battalion on the hill above them didn't feel right either especially as the skirmishers weren't moving towards the guns.

Also was suprised at how difficult they were to charge with horse given their scattered, unformed nature I would have thought a simple sweep...

Mind you that might have been my die rolling - couldn't persuade anybody to charge all day! :D
"Colin Kills Kings, Colonels and Commoners... an equal opportunities employer"

http://khakidrab.blogspot.co.uk/
Matt 1805
Private
Private

Post by Matt 1805 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:16 am

I completely agree with Andy. In the first game I had two squadrons decimated by a single unit of forelorn Hope. I know they were crossing a river at the time (slowly) but it still seems far too effective. I'd suggest that they dont get the bonuses for all musket, Defend orders or first fire. In my mind these bonuses are simulating the effect of a full battalion in line and not a bunch of skirmishers milling around.

Grenadiers are slightly different as they were intended to act as an elite assault unit. I think that they should not get the shooting bonuses either but get a combat bonus to reflect this function.

Matt
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by andy thompson » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:36 am

That's an excellent point Matt makes about the bonuses (bonii?). In pure game terms, he would have been far better dismounting his Dragoons and fielding them as 3 separate "commandoes" in reply to the Forlorne Hope. In fact, in general you'd always be better doing this with Dragoons - I wish I'd thought this through at the weekend :twisted:

In the field, first volley, stationary, close range using an average result:

1 Battalion/Regiment of 3 stands = 3 casualties

3 single stands = 3 x 2 casualties, or 6 if you'd prefer

Make them Elite non-dragoons and it's 5 for the Battalion Vs 9 to 12 for the single stands.

You're going to need an awful lot of dismounted Dragoons next time :twisted:

Andy
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:55 am

To further complicate matters. A squadron of dragoons dismounts as one stand !
So a few forlorn hope need to be engaged by a regiment
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:28 pm

I'm all for single stand commanded shot not getting all the bonus' to fire. Also if charged they simply disperse. Dragoons and 'elites' treated a little more favorably.

Joe
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by andy thompson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:56 pm

A wee spot of thread-nomancy here, but this weekend I thought the commanded shot rules modifications worked extremely well. Basically they could not claim the First Volley bonus, nor the All Musket bonus. This seemed to make them much more reasonable. A nuisance that had to be dealt with but not the super-troopers they were previously.

Andy