more BUA questions

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
blindjack
Corporal
Corporal

more BUA questions

Post by blindjack » Mon May 06, 2013 9:23 am

I'm still walking myself through the BUA rules in the 'cave'. I couldn't tell you how many times I've played through them!!

Anyway, a couple of queries if you please.

1. When a unit or units initiate an assault on a BUA and suffers casualties from defensive fire it takes a morale check to charge home. Does the checking unit test using the normal morale modifiers or the ones for assaulting BUAs. The list of reasons in the rules for checking when assaulting a BUA do not include 'charging home', thus I would assume that I need to use the normal modifiers. I trust this is correct.

2. a) During an assault the attackers lost. One failed its morale and retreated whilst the other remained to fight but shaken. The following turn another unit passed morale etc, to reinforce the assault. Now the reinforcing unit will be disordered as per the melee rules, but because all the assaulters (if that is a word? :lol: ) contribute together and not as single units does the shaken modifier apply - ie number of dice halved from the attackers. I can justify this from the view that a new unit is joining an already wavering and tenuous position, though some of my playing friends might find this harsh. Am I playing this correctly?
b) OR ... it's just occurred to me that maybe all the losing units take the one morale check for losing the melee taking into account the best conditions (eg apply the modifiers for an elite amongst drilled units). I'm sorry.. I seem to be thinking out.

Clarification for an incompetent would be appreciated.

Regards
Richard
blindjack
Corporal
Corporal

Re: more BUA questions

Post by blindjack » Mon May 06, 2013 10:32 am

OR ... it's just occurred to me that maybe all the losing units take the one morale check for losing the melee taking into account the best conditions (eg apply the modifiers for an elite amongst drilled units). I'm sorry.. I seem to be thinking out.
I've just answered my own question, page 62 "the loser of an assault combat applies the result to an entire engaged force." :oops:

However, my question about a reinforcing unit joining a shaken but continuing combat does still remain, even if the context of my question is wrong.

... alternatively, give my another hour and I'll find something in the rules to cover it. :lol:

Richard
blindjack
Corporal
Corporal

Post by blindjack » Thu May 09, 2013 6:37 am

Just to reiterate the questions that I have:

1. When a unit or units initiate an assault on a BUA and suffers casualties from defensive fire it takes a morale check to charge home. Does the checking unit test using the normal morale modifiers or the ones for assaulting BUAs. The list of reasons in the rules for checking when assaulting a BUA do not include 'charging home', thus I would assume that I need to use the normal modifiers. Is this correct?

2. A unit is reinforcing an ongoing assault on a BUA. The units currently engaged are now disordered and shaken. From the melee rules section it is clear that the reinforcing unit must also be disordered, but in calculating the melee dice for the attackers is the worst situation the norm. i.e. halve dice for being shaken and halve dice for being disordered?

Regards

Richard
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:14 pm

Richard,

missed this first time:

Q1: You are right normal morale rules
Q2: You are right, cumulative WORST possible number of dice. Disorder does not apply once inside the BUA for both sides (if attackers breach)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
blindjack
Corporal
Corporal

Post by blindjack » Fri May 10, 2013 6:44 am

Thanks Barry that's very helpful, and you pre-empted my next question as well.. I didn't realise that 'psychic' is another title that we should add to your list :lol: .

Richard
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri May 10, 2013 1:25 pm

many a truth spoken in jest................

Henry Ford
blindjack
Corporal
Corporal

Post by blindjack » Mon May 13, 2013 6:44 am

.. and now I'm worried...

But if I may pose another question.

Yesterday the Rejects did a dress rehearsal of the Boyne game that we're doing at Broadside next month. Everything went well. I was particularly pleased at the assaults on Oldbridge. However:

1. can a defender of a BUA be reinforced from stands within charge range? The limitation for a defender in B2 area is three stands. I suspect the answer is no due to the defend orders required (this is what I said when asked during the game).

2. When an attacker finally kicks out the defenders, am I right in assuming that the town becomes occupied but if the new owners want to stay there they will have to put a DEFEND order on the unit in the following turn? i.e. capture of town does not automatically infer DEFEND orders.

3. Following from question 2. If the side that has been ejected responds in the turn following ejection - e.g. lost town turn 6, charges a fresh unit to try and recapture town turn 7 - that the new defenders receive no defensive benefit from barricades etc.?

I do apologise if I'm being pedantic, but you need to play with some of the people I play with to understand. Usually a confident approach, a firm manner and the threat of dicing penalties are the only things that keep some of them under control :lol:

Regards
Richard
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:42 pm

Richard...

1. Yes to reinforcements but only up to the capacity of the garrison.. ie replacing losses.

2. Correct.. and the successful assaulters MUST remove all troops which are in excess of the garrison size restriction. These should rally OUTSIDE the BUA

3. Nope... new defenders receive all the bonuses previously accorded to the original occupants UNLESS the BUA was reduced by bombardment.

Good luck with the pedants! :lol:

Henry Ford
blindjack
Corporal
Corporal

Post by blindjack » Tue May 14, 2013 6:41 am

I fear that I may have tried your patience on this subject, but a huge thanks for your guidance.

Deeply indebted
Richard
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:01 am

My pleasure and duty.. that is what a forum is for :wink:

Henry Ford