Close Combat and reinforcements rules query

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Eugene1809

Close Combat and reinforcements rules query

Post by Eugene1809 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:07 am

Good morning gents,

Played a lovely game at the club last night and just had a couple of queries. Apologies if they are elsewhere on the forum or blatantly obvious in the rules - I am a bit oblivious at times!

A unit reinforces combat. Lets say a cavalry squadron was the principal unit and another squadron has successfully checked to see if they can reinforce. when calculating combat dice that unit gets the +2 for reinforcing as the rules state however my colleagures thought they also may have been entitled to an additional dice for the squadrons base. I said no however just wanted to check.

Also when can units use the defend order to gain the bonus for firing? Is it purely in BUA or can they also use it defending a hedge row etc.?

Cheers

Carlo
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Re: Close Combat and reinforcements rules query

Post by j1mwallace » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:22 am

The principal unit receives +2. It does not however add an extra base, so the way you did it was right.
As regards defend, the unit can defend anywhere. Even the middle of a field, top of a hill etc.
Look on it as if the commander has said "defend this line"
cheers
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:24 am

Also watch for cynical use of the DEFEND order.. ie units going onto DEFEND to enable morale and shooting bonuses only. It has to be removed by a direct visit from C in C or local commander and cannot be unilaterally changed from move to move.

Cheers

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:24 am

Also watch for cynical use of the DEFEND order.. ie units going onto DEFEND to enable morale and shooting bonuses only. It has to be removed by a direct visit from C in C or local commander and cannot be unilaterally changed from move to move.

Cheers

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Eugene1809

Post by Eugene1809 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:54 am

Thanks gents - took a bit of convincing of my companions to agree to my interpretation but the right result was achieved.

Cheers

Carlo