Help with a ruling needed please!

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Herkybird
Private First Class
Private First Class

Help with a ruling needed please!

Post by Herkybird » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:54 pm

Hi guys,

I had another game of BTLB 2 today, and an odd situation occurred, a pair of dismounted dragoon squadrons were stood in line, and a Bavarian Kuirassier squadron charged them from the front.
On contact he found he was in contact with the front of both dragoon stands. I had a good look through the rule book and could only find rules covering multiple units attacking one, and not the reverse!

We ended up using one dragoon stand as the primary unit, and had the second in support. Was this right?

I look forward to your views on this - and thank you in advance!

PS: We have made another house rule modification, if you are interested, we now only move a charging unit 1D6 instead of 2 before a counter charge activates, we find this works better!
Herkybird
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Help with a ruling needed please!

Post by Herkybird » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:13 pm

I guess, from the lack of replies, no one else can find the answer in the rules either! I have decided that it will probably be best to allow separate dismounted dragoon stands from the same regiment to form a temporary unit, this will allow their firing, especially at extreme range to have some effect, and means when attacked, as in our game, they fight a little better, but will usually lose against horse.
I think it may also make a refight of the French dragoons at Blenheim where they held off the British guards for a while (!) - possible?
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:29 am

Interesting situation,

For your mounted charge example, it makes sense to me. After all in BLB2 a sqn of six figures can also be considered a pair of sqns.

Not sure what you mean in regards to your Blenheim example. Isn't it apples and oranges from above? A dismounted battalion behind cover engaged by one or more enemy units.

Cheers,

Edward
Captain of Dragoons
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:11 pm

The answer is on P41 paragraph 2: Single or multiple units charging multiple opponents
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Herkybird
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Herkybird » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:47 pm

I had read the passage quoted, and it does not IMHO cover the situation I described.
It covers charging the flank of squadrons etc (not the front)
and Multiple winners of a close combat, either unformed or forming.

Either way, I think my proposed solution is likely the one we will use for this situation.

As for the Blenheim query...
At Blindheim, Ferguson's brigade could not dislodge the French dragoons from a makeshift defence near the river during the initial assaults towards the town.

Thanks to all for their replies!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:16 pm

The wording is not precisely as you described but the intent is exactly the same:
Single unit hits multiple opponents
Check morale individually or collectively using lowest morale grade
Distribute casualties across both receiving units

BLB was written in an easy style to allow players to make their own decisions on points of contention so by finding your own solution you have taken the rules in the spirit in which they were written.

If you are happy then that is good enough
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Herkybird
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Herkybird » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:31 pm

Thanks, I think, as a group of players, we have found several things in the rules that we have had to make rulings on ourselves. Sadly, this usually happens mid game, which is not the best time!!!
I am sure sooner or later, we will have nothing else left to clarify or query!!!!
Its still a good set of rules! - and I am glad this forum exists to help.

Thanks again!