BLB3 Basing Question

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Leo72

BLB3 Basing Question

Post by Leo72 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:15 pm

Hello Barry,

I know I am jumping the gun, but need to know two things for my current '19 Rising Project; first, are Highlander Tribal Infantry still only allowed a max of 3 stands? Just wondering, trying to keep the units historical to the Clans that fought at Glen Shiel, the MacKenzie's (I think, don't have the OOB in front of me) made up more than a third of the force, was wondering if I could set it up as a 4 stand unit.
Second, Dismounted Dragoons, are they based as Infantry? During Historicon, you guys were talking about adding Donnybrook individually based skirmishers to the BLB3 rules, is this an option for Dismounted Dragoons?

Oops, I lied, I have one more for you....the Coehorn Mortars, mount them as Artillery?

Thanks Barry, I hope to set up a game at Cold Wars 2017 in Lancaster, PA this spring.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BLB3 Basing Question

Post by barr7430 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:35 pm

Although BLB 3 des not 'recommend' units of more than three stands the rules accommodate any size of unit because of the new shooting/combat mechanisms and doing away totally with a shooting table.
In fact the Russian militia units I am currently creating for the GNW are 4 stands of musketeers.

Dismounted dragoons will not act as skirmishers but basing them singly is no problem. They are now treated as 'loose order' foot which more and manoeuvre differently from close order. Base them how you please.

A Coehoorn I would base as a light or small calibre artillery piece. That is also now a distinction:

Small calibre
Light
Field
Battering

guns

Hope this helps

cheers
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Leo72

Post by Leo72 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:07 pm

That helps a lot. For the Open Order Foot, are the bases the same as the other Infantry? Frontage wise? Just less figures maybe?

I will definitely use the light guns basing for my mortars.

Thank you!
Leo72

Post by Leo72 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:10 pm

You did say base them as you want, I may just play around to see what looks good for Loose Order Foot.

Thanks again
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:57 am

I would base them like dragoons - 5 to a base

Henry Ford
Leo72

Post by Leo72 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:02 pm

I was thinking, since Dragoons are 3 mounted figures to a stand, to have 3 foot Dragoons plus a holder and two horses on the stand for dismounted. That way you get the feel of dismounted cavalry. And it looks prettier :wink:
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:53 am

sounds good!

Henry Ford