Wheeling as part of a Charge

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Schomberg
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wheeling as part of a Charge

Post by Schomberg » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:09 pm

The Wheeling template only goes up to 3 inches. Is this the maximum amount of wheel allowed in a single turn?

Secondly, a unit rolls 4 for a total charge distance of 14. It then has to wheel three inches to align itself for the charge. The roll of D6 is a 4 for the cost of the wheel.

Does the unit now have a remaining charge range of 10 inches or 7 inches?
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wheeling as part of a Charge

Post by barr7430 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:12 pm

Wheeling is at half rate for close order infantry in line so, infantry (except Swedes, loose order and tribal infantry) can only wheel two inches.
Horse can wheel 4 inches in line or 8 inches in column of march.

Charging cavalry which realign by wheeling do not do it the way you have described. See page 68/

Declare charge
Establish charge distance 10 inches + d6 inches
Throw again (d6) and subtract that number of inches. It is not simulating the actual wheel distance but rather the relative difficulty of getting a unit to perform this awkward change under pressure.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Schomberg
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Schomberg » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:10 am

Thank you.
DHautpol
Private
Private

Post by DHautpol » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:35 pm

I’m glad that Schomberg raised this, as there are a few points I wasn’t clear about either.

1. If I have understood Barry correctly, then the Charge distance = (10inches + D6) – D6. Using this as a cavalry example: 10 + D6 score of 3 = 13, less D6 score of 5 gives a total charge move of 8 inches. The 8 inches are then measured off using the template up to the maximum realignment permitted for the formation with the remainder in a straight line. I am assuming that the wheel is applied before the charge is launched due to the impracticability of trying to realign the formation in mid charge.

2. I assume that the “wheel” distance is applied to the movement of the outside stand; this would be consistent with the interpretation in other rule sets.

3. I would also be grateful if Barry could confirm whether, having declared the charge, the player must go through with it even if the calculations mean the charging unit fails to reach its target and are placed in front of the unit where they are targets for short range musketry (I’ve assumed that a cavalry target would counter-charge), and attempt the charge again next move assuming they survive any morale checks.
Schomberg
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Schomberg » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:22 am

@DHautpol

In reference to your first two points, that is also my updated interpretation of how things work.

In reference to the third point. I believe that the Charge must be completed, whether it leaves the Squadron exposed and Disordered or not. This charging malarkey is a risky business.

🙂
DHautpol
Private
Private

Post by DHautpol » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:13 pm

@ Schomberg

That is how I would read it too.

The end of the move is effectively "freezing time" and, assuming that the unit passes its checks to charge next move, the move into contact is actually the conclusion of the charge initiated in the previous move. In essence the charge has taken longer to cover the ground which allows the target more time to respond and the risk that after taking a volley the chargers may break off.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:22 pm

Chaps,

the reduction in movement for the 'realignment' prevents any need to measure a 'wheel'. You won't need the template for this. The template is meant for use in ordinary wheeling no a pre-charge realignment which is pretty much down to chance.

A realignment during a charge simply allows you to re face the charging unit to line up with its target. The relative ease or difficulty of this is decided by the dice. What the die throw simulates is not the experience of the men, their officers or the distance required to be wheeled but rather - the noise, the confusion, the buffeting and challenge of making up to 250 cavalry face in a different direction and then charge in relatively good order.

If you are lucky, you'll throw 10 + 6 for the charge and lose 1 inch for the realignment. The atmosphere is calm, the men know what is going on, the horses are fresh, the sergeants are 'on it' the target is clear, the ground is firm, there are no hidden bumps, copses, undergrowth.

If you are unlucky you throw 10 + 1 and the realignment minus is 6 inches. The mean say WTF? its noisy and smoky and boggy and the horses are tired and bad tempered. The commanders know what is supposed to happen but it is just going to take too long and we're not going to make it.

Charge nevertheless! It will leave the unlucky squadron - disordered and out on a limb.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Schomberg
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Schomberg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:44 am

Thank you.
DHautpol
Private
Private

Post by DHautpol » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:25 pm

Many thanks Barry, particularly the point that the wheeling template is needed only for normal movement and not charging.