R2E gaming reviews

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:43 am

quindia wrote:Maybe someone who has actually played the game might chime in over there?
Thanks, guys... :wink:
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by bibio » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:06 am

The frothers on TMP are rank amatuers compared to the ones on Frothers UK.-bile ,sarcasm and bad languageis the norm.

iain
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:51 am

I think I'll give that a miss them Iain... I meet enough Social Inadequates at in a normal day. I don't want to squander my limited time on earth reading the outpourings of a bunch of self abusers from elsewhere!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:02 am

barr7430 wrote:I think I'll give that a miss them Iain... I meet enough Social Inadequates at in a normal day. I don't want to squander my limited time on earth reading the outpourings of a bunch of self abusers from elsewhere!
I wholehearedly agree, Frothers is just unreadable for me. Just don't see the point.....

Cheers,

Darrell.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 am

The balance seems to have been somewhat restored by the measured comments of members of this Forum. I of course appreciate your support gentlemen but recognise that critique and comment are what keep the hobby alive so please feel free to say what you like good or bad.. here or there!
I have never censored anything from this Forum which has taken a negative tone about WordTwister output.
The only ways you'll get a post taken down here is if you attack an individual or post pictures or text that are offensive.

So crack on :wink:

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:37 pm

It amazes me that companies actually produce anything for wargamers because they are such a thankless and opinionated breed. No matter what a company produces you will always find a large volume of gamers that have something negative that they wish to spout out to all and sundry. When you read through the TMP contents on a regular basis it usually seems to be the same names that crop up time after time. I actually wonder if these people are actually gamers because they never seem to like any figures that are produced, too detailed, not enough detail or the wrong scale that they want. They usually pour out the same comments about rules or painting guides so I would love to see what they actually game with.

Cheers
Dave
wbamick
Private
Private

Post by wbamick » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:17 pm

Good day,

I would say that if these naysayers play at all the only people who will game with them are of the same ilk. I think "socially inadueqate" is a good term. I would bet that these are also the sort of gamers who tie their self worth up in the toys they are gaming with also. Not the sort of person I want to be around. These people are real "energy vampires" and change the complexion of the whole gaming experience to one that is negative.

The whole TMP thing is many times just a bunch of self important drama junkies who love to hear themselves "talk".

Barry, we are going to play the rules! Alas, we are not sure when we will have enough figures but it will be soon. This is the most exciting set of Napoleonic rules we have seen in...well... forever!

I have had mine for almost a week now and I still haven't finished reading them, I keep getting side tracked with the eye candy....

The good news is that the eye candy is a motivating factor to paint new toys!

All the best to everyone,

Bill
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:34 pm

Great to hear from you Bill! :D

I really do look forward to questions/feedback/critique from you are your group...

Get Painting!!! :wink:

Henry Ford
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:39 pm

Oooh, I can't wait for my copy! I wasn't sure when the book would arrive so I had it sent to my "other" home (at my parents) where I will spend the holidays...luckily I'm going there this saturday, but the waiting, oh the waiting!
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:30 pm

barr7430 wrote: Some people will buy R2E for the pictures... nowt wrong with that... pictures of cars, mountains and naked women, they are all nice to look at...
Barry,

I'm on my second reading of the book and enjoying every minute of it but, what page were the naked women on?

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:13 pm

Jim, on a few occasions.. unwittingly on this website :oops:
That's what happens when the SPAMBOTS take control :shock: :shock:

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:24 pm

OK so I broke my own promise to myself :roll:

I posted on TMP :oops: ... only because the individual who seems rather preoccupied with space and time seems to have got it wrong and wanted to share with the world... again.
Maybe he is a timelord.. Now where are my Birch twigs.. I need to punish myself for weakness 8)

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:11 pm

:D

I was composing an actually more diplomatic reply, but when I went to post it yours was already there... I like your response better.

If someone doesn't like the command system or the 'bucket of dice' approach to combat, that's fine. These things are subjective and a matter of taste and will not appeal to everyone. Complaining about a scale issue which is a problem in ALL wargames is ridiculous, especially after a long and detailed essay that outlines these problems!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:21 pm

Well Clarence,

I am one of those chaps who are euphamistically described as
'not suffering fools gladly' :lol:

What that means in practice is that I am often a bit direct :wink:

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:17 pm

barr7430 wrote:OK so I broke my own promise to myself :roll:

I posted on TMP :oops: ... only because the individual who seems rather preoccupied with space and time seems to have got it wrong and wanted to share with the world... again.
Maybe he is a timelord.. Now where are my Birch twigs.. I need to punish myself for weakness 8)
Barry,

my congratulations to your 'broken promise' :D
Straight forward and if it helps I would have done it the same way, maybe a bit more sarcastic :twisted:

Well done*standing ovation*

Btw that 'Robbespierre' brought my view to the point why I m going to fight my future battles(on table) with RtE. Playing 30-45 min to make one silly move that represents about 2-5 mins...weekends lost for nothing and hours wasted with book keeping.

Next Friday we have our Napoleonic Wargame event Znaim 1809 and there I will show them the 'Red Head'(mine is blonde but who cares), maybe its fruitless but if so I would rather join you on that cold northsea Isle to warm up my frozen heart with some nice fellow wargamers and the beloved RtE Rules as to play any longer with these I WILL NOT SMURFS!!!

:oops: now I am the one who has to search his birch twigs :roll:

Cheers

Günter