Regimental Artillery

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Anonymous

Regimental Artillery

Post by Anonymous » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi Barry,

me and my silly Saxon/Westphalien Army :D Westphalien Regimental guns are 2x6pdr for the regiment, Saxons have 4x4 pdr light guns as support in each of their 8 Infantry Regiments.

The question is how may I use Regimental Artillery?

Stationary with DEFEND orders as all Artillery, but MOVE and ADVANCE... would she keep up with the Infantry? Or would the Infantry slow down so that their support guns can keep up the pace?
In case of being charged - the Infantry it belongs to - they do the same test for how they react and when to open fire, like nerves of cold steel or frantic as recruits. Eventually as brigade support fire...?

In my opinion I would use them within the brigade and as they are not to be used away from their parent regiments they would go with them when ever, where ever. If the Regiment looses half its strenght the Artillery cease to exist. because it can no longer be properly supported or covered.

Thats a question Dave may be facing too with his "Utitsia-Project" If he intend to fight it... Poles have Regimental Artillery too :!:

Happy for any comments

Günter
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:51 pm

Gunter,

I think your ideas are good and you should thry them. Some more food for thought...

I have seen how the Austrians used their 3pdrs to support infantry. I think you could write a 'house rule' to allow the regimental artillery to deploy at a distance up to its maximum range from it's advancing infantry.

For example, as long as the infantry was operating 'within' the maximum range of the 3pdrs then it could be considered 'within brigade command distance' and that the guns were provideding support for the brigade.

In addition, allow the guns to fire ONLY at targets related to the advance of their parent regiment..
Also...
Perhaps detach 2-3 firing groups (one per battlaion) to act as a cover force or 'battery guard.

Please let us know how you play this as we may write it into the rules as
'Gunter's amendment on Westfalen artillery'! :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:29 pm

Barry,

Currently I am searching though RtE to make a step by step where, how and when I intend to use Regimental Artillery. As soon I have it together I post it here so anyone can read, comment or augment it.
I m now at my 4th page of scribbling :D

regards

Günter