Light Infantry

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Anonymous

Light Infantry

Post by Anonymous » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:18 am

Hi Barry,

As I am starting to prepare my troops for RtE I want to rebase them because I like the view of being in two ranks per base. After considering how the Line Infantry has to be based I came across the Ligth Infantry and their I stopped. I searched RtE for suggestions or pics as hints but I didnt find what I was looking for. Even in the Pierrepont-Scenario Jeromes 1st and 2nd Legere are largely based as Line.

What would you suggest to be the best way to base them?

In my case the unit will have 36 figures. Should I base the whole batallion as one an two's or have at least one base with 6 figures as the parrent unit/stand at wich the rest can rally?

Any comment will be thankfully received

Cheers

Günter
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:46 pm

As the champion of the light infantry in R2E (it's all my fault they got so complicated), I will tell you that it is a bit of a dilemma! The flexibility of the formation makes for a tough decision. My light units are currently all based as single figures so I can field them in any combination of close order/skirmish that I like. Mind you, my line infantry are based on a 15mm frontage, and my lights on single 20mm stands so if formed up, the lights end up with a longer frontage. Not a deal breaker in R2E, but it might bug some people.

My plans for the future are to paint some light infantry units as close order (the 43rd and 52nd British often fought this way in the Peninsula) and add enough skirmish models for half battalion deployment. My 95th and 60th Rifles will remain as single models because they were often deployed in strengths of 3-5 companies in the Peninsula and rarely fought in close formation. I only have one small French light infantry unit at the moment and chose to field them as individual models as well since I have plenty of close order line units and will always deploy them as skirmishers.

There really isn't a 'best way' to base them. If you intend to normally deploy your 36 model battalion as skirmishers, your 'base' should consist of two combat groups (see page 64). The remainder can either be based singly or in pairs. This also gives the tactical option of dividing your 36 model unit into half battalion strength and splitting it between brigades as was sometimes done, with one 'base' and 7 pairs of skirmishers in each unit.

Hopefully that helps and if Barry has other ideas, I'm sure he'll chime in too!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 am

Hi Clarence,

I thought that must come from someone with single figure bases :twisted:

I think my solution to this is that I base them on two's and one's but including 2 bases with 4 Figures on it so I have Rallypoint/HQ stands ready and RtE conform combatgroups. The basesizes I intend to use will be for closeorder fighting.

Movement in close order on the Table I will do by placing them on a sheet of cardboard so they are not in the hazzard of getting damaged.

The alternative to that would be a very costly one!
I would have to doubble the number of figures to base them as closed order (six on one base) AND single figure based for Skirmish deployment of the whole unit :!:

But alas we all dont shit the money we spent for our beloved warriors :D

Thank You for your input

Günter
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:29 pm

Gunter,

I love that little piece of Austrian 'local phrasing'

'shit the money'.... I get it!!! 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford