R2E Brigade scenario

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

R2E Brigade scenario

Post by barr7430 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:23 am

You just never know what Clarence will get up to next!

He has uploaded a lovely little brigade level scenario for R2E on his blog
http://quindiastudios.blogspot.com/

Can be played solo or with a friend.. nice! 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:13 pm

Yeah, gotta watch me... :wink:

On tap for February is a WIP of the Legion du Midi where I will post pics at the end of each day I've managed to accomplish something and I have a game planned later this month which I hope to turn into a battle report.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:53 pm

Clarence,

I was interested in the comment leader in your blog about forum/blog comments on R2E. Some feedback appears to suggest R2E is complicated.
I have no doubt that your perception of the feedback is correct but it also struck me as deeply ironic.
One of the main spurs to getting the rules done was the relative complexity and sluggishness of GdB for bigger games. That is where it all began.
R2E as a book is large because of the explanations, examples and pictures. Strip that out and I think it is possibly similar in size or perhaps slightly thinner than its contemporaries.

The real test is actually PLAYING games. If players make it past the pictures and the explanations and set something up on the table it all clicks into place pretty neatly.. I know that you know this.. I thought it might be useful just to let everyone else know :wink:
I haven't trawled around too much for reviews etc. I was somewhat fazed by the TMP affaire and have decided to give that particular arena a reasonable wide berth.

I have read Bill Gilchrist's review on Angus Konstam's site.. interesting. Bill is a bit of a rules addict but to my knowledge he's never played the game and has just had a read through. Angus has half played half a game (when he's not reading the Scotsman or at the bar) and tends to be somewhat offhand in his comments but that is his style, agent provocateur I believe may be the mot juste.
The problem with reviews in general is that if you are somewhat insecure the comments can be taken personally, if you respond to criticism, it looks defensive, if you ignore it and don't get involved it looks like lack of ownership and disinterest.. none are particularly attractive options.

That is why I feel the best way to get people comfortable with the rules is to get them playing and not talking..
Wargamers do however like to talk :lol:

I am in the process of trying to organise the first R2E weekender and if that flies then I'll do more and trawl them round the country. In addition, the scenarios appearing soon in mags should also give people an idea of the application of the rules in smaller scale scenarios.

Get the troops and the dice out is my advice!! 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:13 pm

You're right... I don't think it's complicated!

The impressions I have gotten from others is that Black Powder and LaSalle are more for fast play games and R2E is a more 'serious' approach at simulation... like GdeB. I have tried to point out that R2E has been used for mammoth games, but I have been taking the approach of presenting small games to encourage people to try it out (with the knowledge that once they actually get into the game, the notions of complexity will be dispelled).

I figure that once the game gets more exposure, folks will see that it's not really a hard game. I'm running a battle for four guys who have NEVER played Napoleonics later this month and I will get their impressions after the game.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:17 pm

My Tuppence:

Reviewing a game without playing it is like recommending a wine without tasting it: the bottle is greenish, the cork is a solid fit, the script on the label is a nice cursive font and, as advertised, there is exactly 750ml in the bottle. More than that, this teetotaller cannot tell you.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:02 pm

Hello Clarence,

I am enjoying your new blog and like the brigade level scenario. As Barry pointed out it's good for a solo game or for a couple of gent's having a few 'pops' while the wives are upstairs talking about girl stuff.

I think people think that Napoleonic wargamming has to be massive with thousands of figures - kinda like those crazy Ivans :!:

Now this would be an interesting scenario: Garcia Hernandez

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Garcia_Hernandez

Maybe a brigade + size action. I wonder how many times you would have to play it to get a historical result with the squares breaking. I think 9 times out of 10 the British Cavalry would get a bloody noise.

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons