FIRST REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE WEEKENDER

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Churchill
General
General

La Half Sainte???

Post by Churchill » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:26 am

Jim,

Ahh I see :oops: maybe after that heavy rainfall on the night of the 17th it shrunk :lol: , looking forward to seeing all of Barry's terrain for this as he always puts alot of effort into his wargames.

Cya Soon,

Ray
Churchill
General
General

1st R2E Weekender.

Post by Churchill » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi all,

Well only 24hrs to go and I should be pulling in to the Lundin Links hotel car park about now.Confirmed my room booking, car has been washed, hovered and filled with diesel.Checked my Sat Nav and the journey should take about 3 hrs 30 mins, so I'm setting off about 11.30a.m.
Looking forward to meeting everyone involved at the hotel and the game. I'm also informed that there is a second game on this weekend set during the SYW.

See you all soon,

Ray.
John-G
Private
Private

Re: 1st R2E Weekender.

Post by John-G » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:58 pm

Churchill wrote: I'm also informed that there is a second game on this weekend set during the SYW.

See you all soon,

Ray.
Ray,

you are indeed correct. South East Scotland Wargames Club (SESWC) are holding their 2nd campaign weekend in the hotel (the previous being ECW)

Rest assured there will be several (very) interested parties 'popping out' for a while :wink: And of course our very own Dave O'Brien will be assisting Barry.

Cheers, and hopefully make your acquaintance at the weekend,

John.
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:58 pm

Hi guys,
as Ray says around 24 hours to go really looking forward to the whole weekend, gets even better with 2 games going on.
I have a little further to travel coming from Lincolnshire but hopefully will be there around 4pm.
See you all tomorrow
Vive L'Empereur
Bob
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:01 pm

toggy wrote: Vive L'Empereur
Bob
Ah Bob, a man after my own heart - Vive Napoléon! Vive La France! Vive le Numbered Suisse Bank Account!

See you there,

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:14 pm

Gentlemen,

This is my last post prior to the Weekend game. I am not generally a profoundly religious man but, I have been studying the BIBLE.

Mark Adkin's "Waterloo Companion" is a book that gets better with every read and I can't help but think that our experience over the weekend will be based on this.

If, as Barry states, the battlefield covers the area from Hougomont (off table) to Papellotte (off table) then, instead of the three French divisions of Quiot, Donzelot and Marcognet, we will see the Guard and Durutte along with possibly Bachelu and Foy and their counterparts on the Allied side.

This thing is bigger than I had first thought.

See you all and wish you good dice,

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:47 pm

Did someone forget to sacrifice that virgin to the volcano? Now all flights are on hold. I hope you all can drive to the event. Have fun and post pics! :)
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:10 am

Hope you have a great game gents. Sorry I can't join you but hopefully my troops will cover themselves in some glory.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
valleyboy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by valleyboy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:39 am

Best wishes Gents but most importantly - make sure you each take a friggin camera
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:42 am

flick40 wrote: ...Did someone forget to sacrifice that virgin to the volcano?
Couldn't find one in Motherwell.

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Have a good time Gents.
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:15 am

No middle of the action report? Did no one bring a laptop? Tsk... :wink:
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:53 pm

Yes - shame on you!

Where's the live video cross to our correspondent on the battlefield :wink:
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:14 pm

Oh yes, I brought a laptop but ended up just downloading loads of photos onto it. I am delighted to say that the weekend was a fantastic success... we had a bunch of exhausted but happy gamers at the end of it. Full report soon but the highlights included:

An early French success. After bombarding La Haie Sainte to rubble with the Imperial Guard artillery reserve it was stormed and taken on the 3rd attempt by 54th & 55th Line. Major Baring and 20 men (1 model) escaped from the charnel house after an epic struggle. Captured about 1.30pm

The Household Brigade (except 1st DG) executed a perfect diagonal charge from west to east across the slope east of the Charleroi road riding down 3 French battalions and capturing the Eagle of the famed 13th Leger. They then found themselves in the centre of a 36 gun hail storm which scythed down about 1/3 of the Household regiments.

Donzelot's and Marcognet's divisions made a persistent and spirited attack on Pack ,Best's and Saxe Weimar's brigades. This included a bayonet charge on the Black Watch who, after delivering a devastating point blank volley, were unable to stop their opponents and themselves broke with 66% losses.

Prussian dragoons arriving about 3.30pm cut through the 4th Division's 6pdrs and massacred all of the gunners before themselves being routed by Jacquinot's Chasseurs.

Traver's and Dubois's cuirassiers destroyed Vandeleur's beautiful brigade of light dragoons before charging off table in pursuit never to be seen again.

The Greys and the Royals cut through battalions of infantry only to finally come unstuck themselves.

Final act of the game - the Gordon's standing alone against a charge by the 5th Cuirassiers and despite being in line, completely routing their opponents. Wow :shock:

Oh... you want to know the result :roll:

By 4.20 pm battle time La Haie Sainte had fallen, the Old Guard had reached the road west of the crossroads and the road east was under threat..

yes a marginal but definite French victory!!!!!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
stonebraveheart

Post by stonebraveheart » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:26 pm

Just back from an absolutely great weekend first of big thanks to the hotel and staff who were friendly and helpful throughout even with a large number of boisterous wargamer’s hanging out at their hotel.
A great venue for the two games of Napoleonics and 7 year war large rooms with good lighting and a bar open to residents the whole time.

Big thanks to Barry and Dave for all the effort they put into running the Napoleonic game and re-fighting Waterloo. A massive undertaking which really paid off.

Thanks to my opponents for the weekend Peter, Paul and Ray and to my team mates Bob and Jim and to Callum as a stand in Prussian leader for day 2.

The game itself went very well and amazingly played a lot of the historical event to a tee and almost at the same timings of the real battle. I don’t want to steal all of Barry’s thunder as I am sure he will be writing a massive battle report :D and adding many photos but after having been nominated by my team mates as Napoleon for the battle (thanks) based on the fact I had played one more game of RtE than them ie One Napoleon managed to win a grand total of two initiatives the whole weekend this was mostly due to the random role of a dice at the start of each turn were Napoleons state of health got better or worse.
The end was a minor victory for the French though having taken two of their objectives with the guard standing at the main crossroads. Some great moments throughout the weekend and will look forward to attending the next one. The rules worked a treat and for only a second time player had them mostly grasped straight away and love the Manoeuvre Points system they use. Certainly recommend giving them a try,

Chris