FIRST REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE WEEKENDER

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:21 pm

Seem to have been a fantastic weekend! I'll make sure to be there next time!
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:04 pm

Can't believe its been a week since we were setting up the game.Have been reading some more accounts of the real battle, and it seems uncanny how accurate our refight was.

As Barry is still writing his detailed report won't reveal any details, but I can definitely say the game did justice to all of his & Dave O'Briens hard work.

Also been looking through the rules again, having now played them, and the mechanisms are much easier to understand & follow, so I would recommend using small numbers of troops on table to get used to them.

Finally if Barry does manage to organise any more events they are a must get to event, certainly for me anyway.
Churchill
General
General

Major Baring's Account.

Post by Churchill » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi everyone,

Well here is my battle report on it's 2nd try, I lost everything on my 1st attempt earlier in the week.
Hope I'm not treading on your toes Barry by posting this and I hope it tally's with your account. :wink:

The memoirs of Major Baring 18th June 1815. (17th & 18th April 2010).

First and foremost I’d like to thank everyone involved with this 1st R2E weekender from my arrival at the Lundin Links hotel in Fife, Scotland on Friday 16th through to Sunday 18th.The staff were 1st class and made me feel most welcome as did David Imerie who I had met at Cannonade the previous year.In the hotel bar I met my fellow gamers Bob (aka Toggy) and Jim (aka Coffindodger) where over a few pints a lot of cheery banter was exchanged.Barry and David O’Brien (our umpires) made sure we had settled in ok and got on with setting the tables up with his excellent tiles, terrain and of course his custom built La Haye Sainte.That evening we got a sneak preview of the two 12’ x 6’ tables which separated down the middle for easy access to moving figures.Even with only the initial regiments and artillery batteries deployed on the tables, this was going to be an awe inspiring game.
Over the weekend almost 3,000 figures would find their way onto the field of Waterloo.I must say from being a schoolboy and going to see the film in the 1970’s this battle has always been of great interest to me.

Day 1. (Saturday 17th April)

The rest of the players arrived that morning and on the Allies side was Peter, Paul and myself while on the French side was Chris, Bob and Jim.
Peter being the only player to have played R2E before was nominated to be Wellington and Chris was Napoleon.
Initial positions were on the allied side Bylandt brigade was on the forward slope of the ridge, the 2nd K.G.L. light infantry occupied the orchard and farm of La Haye Sainte, while various RHA and RFA batteries were positioned along the ridge.
On the French side the divisions of Allix, Donzelot and Marcognet with various batteries positioned as support on the opposite ridge.The Durutte division started off table futher to the French right.
In game time it was 9.30am (11.30am historically) when we started, this allowed the French to place their 12pdr grand battery in position on previous soft ground due to the heavy rainfall the night before.Each turn started with dice throws for who had initiative and also on a events table that umpire David O’Brien was keeping very close to his chest.
All three French divisions came on in the same old style and so had to be met in the same old style.

The French columns advance towards the allied ridge.

Allix’s (Chris) moved forward towards La Haye Sainte and were fired on by the riflemen in the orchard and 3 allied batteries these causing a great many casualties amongst the battalions.The French batteries concentrated on the farm itself and after three turns of pounding reduced it’s defences to rubble and who’s defenders could not count as hard cover.
On the other table Dunzelot’s (Bob) moved at the same pace as Allix’s division and headed towards Bylandt’s brigade these being the only opposition they could see.
Marcognet’s (Jim) moved more cautiously, throwing a screen of skirmishers in front of his brigades nervously expecting the British Light Cavalry appearing on his flank, but these too made for the allied ridge left of Papelotte.
As each turn went on Napoleon’s health was in question and Chris also had to dice for his leadership.This lead to the allies winning the initiative on most turns and their artillery ripping massive - through the advancing French infantry columns of Allix’s division.This caused a few of them to first halt and then retreat and even rout back to their ridge.A French horse artillery battery which was limbered at the time were shot at by a 9pdr RHA battery and caused 25% casualties in one go and routed them off table.The 95th rifles now joined in this fire and they too were taking a heavy toll on the French.This said the 54th & 55th ligne who were covered from this fire by folds in the ground and so hidden at times assaulted the defenders of La Haye Sainte and after heavy hand to hand fighting forced the defenders and the reinforcing 1st K.G.L. light infantry out of the farm.These along with the only surviour and Major Baring of the 2nd fell back to the safety of the allied ridge.

The French occupy La Haye Sainte at about 1.20pm

I along with others playing were complete novices to the rules, but after a few turns had passed, grasped the mechanic’s of the rules and with Barry’s & David’s guidance thing’s moved on quite quickly even with the amount of figures to move, firing and moral check’s.
Next on came the cuirassier brigades of Dubois & Travers following Allix’s division and on the other table Durutte (Jim) division appeared to the right of Marcognet.

The cuirassier regiment of Dubois & Travers follow in Allix's wake.

Looking at both tables at this point I wondered how we were going to stop this horde of French infantry and cavalry, but help was at hand in the form of Somerset’s household cavalry (Peter).Leaving the 1st Dragoon Guards back as a reserve the two regiments of Life Guards and the Royal Horse Guards charged the flanks of 3 infantry battalions who had little time to react because of their close proximity of the allied ridge.The infantry were slaughted where they stood and the 13th leger had their eagle captured.Surprisingly enough Bob’s other battalion’s morale stayed firm and Somerset’s cavalry with no one left to pursue now found themselves the target of no less than 36 enemy artillery guns.The next turn after the smoke had cleared a third of these cavalry were dead and the regiments made a hasty withdrawal back over the ridge.This concluded day one and although the French had captured one of their objectives (La Haye Sainte) the 12 turns played had gone too and throw in advantages towards both sides.Apart from the battalions holding the farm, Allix’s and a good half of Dunzelot’s were no more.

Day 2 (Sunday 18th April)

This started with more French marching onto the tables, on my table (La Haye Sainte) came 2 battalions of Old Guard and on the Papelotte table two more cuirassier brigades and Jaquinot’s light cavalry division.

The Old Guard march on.

Napoleon’s health faired no better and at times had to leave the table altogether.
If my memory serves me correctly I think the French only twice won the initiative over the entire weekend.
The cuirassiers of Dubois and Travers moved up behind the farm and took cover in the folds of the ground.When they moved out to the left of La Haye Sainte a RHA battery took aim and left the leading column of squadrons with 25% dead (I was having a good weekend when it came to my artillery fire), this forced them back to retire for cover.

The Royal Horse Artillery took their toll on the French.

Relentlessly the Old Guard battalions marched on and were almost at the rear of the farm when coming out of a cornfield to the front and left of the farm appeared a brigade of infantry sent over from Bachelu’s Division, this put more pressure on my remaining regiments of Ompteda.
On the Papelotte table Bylandt’s brigade although putting up a brave fight all but one regiment broke and ran with only Wellington helping to stop them all routing off table.
The Verden Landwehr battalion of Best’s brigade broke without firing a single shot and left the table.Thing’s were getting hot for the allies on this table too as a total of 7 French battalions in column had made their way to the summit of the allied ridge.

The French infantry columns reach the allied ridge summit from the crossroads to Papelotte.

Help again was at hand this time in the form of Maj.Gen.Ponsonby’s brigade and the Nassau regiments of Saxe-Weimar.The Scot’s Greys along with the other dragoon regiments had initial success against the infantry who this time captured the 46th ligne eagle.Sgt.Ewart was heard to say “I’ve already got the 45th ligne eagle so I’ll pass on them”.

Maj.Gen.Ponsonby's brigade prepare to charge "Scotland Forever"

The rest of Best’s brigade broke after a single round of melee, but the disordered French battalions were themselves counter charged by the Nassau’s and routed them.

The Nassau regiments of Saxe-Weimar counter charge the disordered French.

Pack’s brigade stood and the Blackwatch delivered a pointblank fire that devastated their opponent’s, but had themselves now been reduced to a third of their original strength and broke.

The Blackwatch defending to their last breath.

Ponsonby’s dragoons were now charged by cuirassiers and after a hard fight routed off table with the cuirassiers in hot pursuit.

Those dammed Cuirassiers.

To the rear of the French right flank now appeared two Prussian dragoon regiments who overran a enemy artillery battery killing all the gunners, but Jaquinot’s chasseurs and lancers took their revenge and routed the Prussians.
While all this was happening Wellington had ordered Maj.Gen.Vandeleur’s brigade over to the centre to counter the infantry sent over by Bachelu.This infantry had reached the bottom of the allied ridge and were being supported by the four regiments of cuirassiers followed by the Old Guard.All three light dragoon regiments were formed in column of squadrons the 12th & 16th to the front while the 11th were in reserve and following them up.As soon as they reached the summit they declared charges and the 12th went in, but the 16th refused and did nothing.The 12th routed the French infantry they had charged, but during part of the pursuit uncovered another infantry battalion who passed their reaction test and prepared to receive the victorious cavalry, but again this was short lived as all the light dragoon regiments were themselves charged by cuirassier regiments.With the distance being so close almost all involved could only trot into each other, so no pluses for charging.
The outcome was that all three light dragoon and one cuirassier regiments broke and fled, Vandeleur being caught up with the routers.(It seems David O’Brien was right about their 1st time on the table).

Maj.Gen.Vandeleur's Dragoon's about to be charged by Cuirassier's.

The honour of being mentioned in dispatches goes to the Gordon Highlanders who remaining in line received the charging 5th cuirassiers with the cold steel of their bayonets and routed them.

The Gordon Highlanders not to be tangled with. :twisted:

The game ended here at about 4.20pm the farm was still in French hands and a single battalion of Old Guard were contesting the crossroads, but they had little left of D’Erlons corps or their supporting cavalry, where as the allies still had Kempt’s, Lambert’s, the majority of Ompteda and part of Pack’s divisions along with Maj.Gen.Vivian’s hussar brigade.

We still held the ridge in the end.

Barry gave victory to the French, but it was a Near Run Thing!!! :wink:

This was a fantastic weekend with a great game and all gentlemen players and umpires to boot.I’m already looking forward to the next one with possibly the centre right of the allied line at Waterloo.

Thanks again,

Ray.

P.S. Sorry about the photo's as these were taken on my mobile phone.
Last edited by Churchill on Tue May 04, 2010 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:52 pm

Very nice battle report Ray snd not too biased towards the Allies :wink:

I am pleased to say that we WILL be running another Lundin Links weekender and the likely date is in October.. more details to follow.

We are also investigating the possibility of a weekender further south in England..
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:03 am

Ray,

An excellent report and a damned stirring tale. It certainly conveys the drama of the weekend and the to-an-fro nature of the battle. You have a great way with words, Sir!

Regards,

Jim
a.k.a. Marcognet's replacement, Compte l'Embusqué de Cercueil
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:15 am

Excellent report Ray. Thanks.

Salute
von Peter himself
Last edited by kiwipeterh on Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/
Churchill
General
General

2nd R2E Weekender.

Post by Churchill » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:18 am

Hi Barry,

Pleased you liked the battle report, my photo's could have been better :cry:
Hope to see more of yours as the ones already in the Gallery look great, especially the one of La Haye Sainte burning.
Napoleon (Chris) might be able to confirm this, but I think there was 40 odd guns firing at the farm during their pounding of it's defences.
I enjoyed everyones company especially Jim's who I cracked a few jokes with and listened to his banter.
The next weekender looks like October you say......Please, Please don't make it the 1st, 2nd or 3rd as I'll be at the Derby Worlds that weekend with my fellow gamers from Mansfield.

See you soon at the Falkirk show,

Regards.........Ray.
stonebraveheart

Post by stonebraveheart » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:44 pm

Ray
great report i think we committed both 12lb and both 6lb gun batteries of the Guard to turning the farm into useable hardcore for the new french monuments we were planning.

Roy
good to see you on this forum didn't know you followed this one send me a e mail when you get chance as i haven't got you address (stupid computers been formatted so many times now) and yes i have been known to lose but this was definetly a team effort and a closer result than it looked, the guard made the cross- roads just so i could say they were there.

chris
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:10 am

The pdf is taking a bit longer than I thought :oops:

I have gone too far yet again.. but I think it'll be worth waiting for..

Henry Ford
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Of Cabbages and Kings.

Post by CoffinDodger » Sat May 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Dave (O'Brien),

Where did you get the Astroturf? I have tried B&Q without success. I thought that the wee "cabbage fields" looked great.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Churchill
General
General

Poor Old Durutte.

Post by Churchill » Sat May 08, 2010 7:29 pm

Hi Jim,

Every now and again I have a flick through my "Waterloo Companion" by Mark Adkins and have a read.A few days ago I came across what happened to General de Division Durutte on Page 85, have a look mate.
You missed a good day at Falkirk, everyone was there from the 1st R2E weekender and I was able to put another few faces to names off here.
I purchased 2 boxes of Perry Plastic 28mm British Napoleonic Line Infantry and a box of Victrix Plastic 28mm British Napoleonic Foot Artillery.
Maj.Gen.Vandeleur's Light Dragoon Brigade got there photo's taken again :D and these will be sent to Alec of Front Rank soon.
Hope you had a good day too :wink:
I'm off to Partizan at the end of the month with the "Like a Stonewall" group and I think the demo game is the Battle of Aughrim 1691.

Best Wishes......Ray.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat May 08, 2010 9:12 pm

THREE X 3....

Now then.. in the 17th Century I would have been burned at the stake.. having said to Dave, Bob, Paul, Peter and Ray.. I bet I throw three 3's...

I threw.... Three 3's....

What are the odds against that then?? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat May 08, 2010 10:56 pm

And what are the odds of you only getting 3 hits out of 17 dice in combat?
Your dice rolling is getting as bad as mine. :roll:

Cheers
Dave