Lundy's Lane OOB

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Coyote
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Lundy's Lane OOB

Post by Coyote » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:35 pm

Looking for some feedback. This is my first draft of the British OOB. I've split one very large unit and combined others to try to keep sizes close together. The divisions are as given by my source and I believe represent how the units travelled to the battlefield. I may, rules-wise, treat Scott's Division as a brigade, and then group Morrison and Pearson's Divisions into a second brigade.

Figure ratio is 1:10

Code: Select all

Hercules Scott's Division

1st Brigade
			1st Division 103rd Regiment of Foot (32 figures)
			2nd Division 103rd Regiment of Foot (32 figures)
			Combined Battalion 1 (40 figures)
				104th Foot (12 figures)
				8th Regiment of Foot (28 figures)
			Royal Artillery	(not sure how many guns, will check source later)

2nd Militia Brigade

Combined Militia Battalion 1 (25 figures)
				1st Essex Regiment (5 figures)		
				1st Middlesex Regiment (5 figures)		
				1st Norfolk (5 figures)		
				2nd Norfolk Regiment (5 figures)		
				Caldwell (Western) Rangers (5 figures)		

Reserve

1st Foot (40 figures)

Morrison's Division

Morrison

Combined Battalion 2 (30 figures)
				1st Foot (17 figures)		
				41st Foot (6 Figures)		
				8th Foot (7 Figures, no colours)		
			89th Foot (43 figures)
			Artillery (again, will check source)

Pearson's Division

1st Militia Brigade

Combined Militia Battalion 2 (30 figures)
				1st Lincoln Regiment (6 figures)		
				2nd Lincoln Regiment (6 figures)		
				2nd York Regiment (6 figures)		
				4th Lincoln Regiment (6 figures)		
				5th Lincoln Regiment (6 figures)		

Light Brigade

19th Light Dragoons (10 figures)
			Glengarry Light Infantry (38 figures)
			Incorporated Militia Battalion of Upper Canada (34 figures)
			Royal Artillery (will check source)
			Provincial Light Dragoons (3 figures)
Tyler "Coyote" Provick
http://tyler.provick.ca
Coyote
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Coyote » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:00 pm

How strict is the need for the specific battalion sizes. or is it permissible to ignore a few extra models for casualty and combat group purposes?
Tyler "Coyote" Provick
Yermolov
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Yermolov » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:19 pm

That's dependent on you, I think. If it doesn't matter to you, then go for it. I'll be building most of my French units with 8 figure stands and may build some 4-figure ones to 'make change' and allow me some different ways to represent 24 or 36 figure battalions.

I don't believe adding or subtracting a few figures per unit to make things even up will change the scenario much.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:22 am

Tyler, you can field units of of 18 to 48 models, or any variation in between. Partial Combat Groups count as full Combat Groups (i.e. your Combined Militia unit of 25 models will count as seven Combat Groups until they sustain a casualty).
Coyote
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Coyote » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:28 pm

Good to know. I was wondering if I could get feedback on my combined battalions. I was doing it to create a more standard size of unit, but was wondering if it was cheating. I'm just re-reading the rules with an eye on this specific battle and realized that amalgamation was only for battalions of the same regiment.

Perhaps I shouldn't amalgamate because it will give me a historically accurate idea of how hard it is to maneuver a bunch of small units instead of a couple larger ones. The problem is it would leave me with very small units. I guess it depends on how they were actually used in the battle. In some cases you have a couple of center companies from one battalion and the flank companies of another battalion, it seems only natural to put them together.

Also, what about splitting the 103rd Battalion? It was one of the few units close to full strength and as such positively dwarfs the other units unless split.

But, it that giving me an easier time than the real commanders? In this specific case I'm looking forward to recreating the battle. I do plan to (and will likely do this first) run some pick-up or smaller battles where I worry less about fully historical OOBs.
Tyler "Coyote" Provick
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Tyler, if you check out the 1812 section in the R2E rules you will see that you can combine light and grenadier companies from different regiments to form combined units. The Brits also quite often split their larger battalions into divisions of companies because this gave them more options to operate against smaller American units otherwise they would have been leaving their flanks open to attack. The options for combining and splitting units is only available to the Brits.

Cheers
Dave