Action on the Coa

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Action on the Coa

Post by obriendavid » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:19 pm

Action on the Coa
This was one of our weekly club games at the South East Scotland Wargames Club which needs to be set up, played and packed away in about 4 hours which limits the size of the battles we can put on in a normal evening. This battle battle took place in July 1810 just over the Portuguese border and was fought by part of the army of the Duke of Massena’s army of Portugal and the briefings for both players are below.
John Glass played Crawford and also commanded Beckwith’s Brigade while the other Allied Brigade was commanded by Ian Carter. Jack Glanville commanded the French as Marshal Ney and also took Mermet’s Division. Donald Adamson commanded Loison’s Division and fought with Simon’s Brigade while two complete R2E novices, Andrew Easson and Andy Cairns commanded the larger Ferey’s Brigade. I was overall umpire but also took charge of the troops in Almeida, just so I could throw a dice in anger, for all the good it did me.

Allied Order of Battle
Maj. Gen. Crawford, Light Division commander. Gifted +2

Beckwith, Brigade commander, Seasoned.
43rd Light Infantry, 40 figures, Veteran.
95th Rifles, (left division) 20 figures, Veteran/Elite
3rd Cacadores, 32 figures, Drilled.
1 troop RHA, 2 guns (1 model) drilled.

Barclay, Brigade commander, Seasoned.
52nd Light Infantry, 48 figures, Veteran.
95th Rifles (right division) 18 figures, Veteran/Elite.
1st Cacadores, 28 figures, Drilled.

French Order of Battle
Marshal Ney, Commander VI Corps, Gifted +2
General de Division Loison, Division commander, Competent 0

Simon, Brigade commander, Seasoned.
26th Line, 1st battalion, 30 figures, Drilled.
26th Line, 2nd battalion, 24 figures, Drilled.
26th Line, 3rd battalion, 24 figures, Recruits.
Legion du Midi (light infantry), 28 figures, Drilled.
Hanovarian Legion, 1st and 2nd battalions combined, 30 figures, Drilled.

Ferey, Brigade commander, Sluggish.
32nd Legere, 21 figures, Drilled/Elite
66th Line, 1st battalion, 32 figures, Veteran.
66th Line, 2nd battalion, 32 figures, Veteran.
66th Line, 3rd battalion, 24 figures, Drilled.
82nd Line, 1st battalion, 32 figures, Drilled.
82nd Line, 2nd battalion, 32 figures, Drilled.
82nd Line, 3rd battalion, 24 figures, Recruits.

Mermet’s Division never got into action so I haven’t listed them.

I had previously set the ratings for all the senior commanders with Ney and Crawford both being gifted and Loison and Mermet as competent then got the players to dice for Brigadier ratings. Simon ended up as seasoned commander but Ferey was sluggish whereas both allied Brigadiers were seasoned. Ney wasn’t allowed to use his rating for initiative tests or add his MP’s until he got on the table and I had set a restriction that there had to be a gap of at least 18” behind Loison’s division before Mermet and Ney could appear.
We fought the battle length ways down an 8x6 table which ended up being too narrow and ideally 8x8 or even an 8x10 would have been a better size with a pop-up for access but we didn’t have time to arrange this. Because of the restricted width I decided to ignore the Zone of Control from the built up areas, basically Almeida and the windmill on the allied left flank. The French had a flat plain to move over whilst the Allies defended a low ridge which was covered with orchards and vineyards then there was a steep hill and very rough ground behind them and their only way of retreat was one narrow bridge which crossed the river Coa which was totally impassable at this time due to torrential rain.

Allied Briefing
Maj. Gen. Crawford, you had been ordered late last night by the Duke to pull your division which has been observing the French in front of Almeida back over the river to join the rest of the army but the message arrived so late and the rain was so torrential that you decided to move back today. Before you can order a withdrawal the VI Corps of Marshal Ney has launched an attack on your position and have already pushed back all your outposts and the cavalry supporting your force. You have already won two actions against this corps already and have decided to give them another bloody nose before retiring. The cavalry have already started to pull back over the bridge on the Coa and two regiments have moved upstream to cover the ford and the rest of your division has called to arms.
Victory conditions
If you can hold your current position and beat off all French attacks then you will have won a stunning victory.
If you can beat off the first attacks then pull back without suffering more than 50% casualties you will have won a victory.
If you fall back without stopping any French attacks you will get a draw result.
If you fall back without stopping any French attacks
and suffer more then 25% casualties you will suffer a defeat.
A worse result than this then you had better get yourself killed.

French Briefing
Marshal Ney, you have been ordered by the Duke of Massena to push the enemy division back over the river so the rest of the army can lay siege to Almeida. You have already lost two actions against this division already and have decided to give them a bloody nose before they can retire. The cavalry have already started to push back the enemy outposts and moved upstream to try crossing the ford to cut off the enemy and now is the chance for your infantry to show their metal. Unfortunately the area you have had to advance over has not allowed you to expand your formation so you are having to attack one division at a time.
You place yourself with Mermet’s 2nd division and send in Loison’s 3rd Division first.
Victory conditions
If you can get at least one regiment (of 3 battalions of 50% or stronger) over the bridge then you will have won a stunning victory.
If you can push back the enemy over the river causing more than 50% casualties you will have won a victory.
If you fail to inflict at least 25% casualties you will get a draw result.
If you fail to inflict at least 25% casualties and suffer 50% or more you will suffer a defeat.
Any worse result than this then you had better get yourself killed.
If you have to attack with Mermet’s division then any victory conditions will be reduced by one level.

This was the general situation at the start of the battle and not a lot happened for the first couple of moves mainly with the lack of MP’s for the French who just moved normal moves forward and the Allies just defending and having a pop with their rifles and the two guns from the Royal Horse Artillery and the guns from Almeida which I had classed as recruits as I didn’t want them to influence the battle too much as happened historically. The French had set up with Ferey’s Brigade on their right flank and Simon on the left and despite them being the larger and better trained brigade they had given Ferey Advance orders and told to demonstrate in front of the allies to pin them in place to allow Simon to attack the Allied right flank. Simon had set up all his battalions in attack columns while Ferey used an orde mixte formation with battalions in line in front and columns behind but the trouble they had was that their lines kept failing morale checks for artillery fire and wavering which meant they couldn’t advance and halted the ones behind because they kept them too close to the ones in front.
This delay started to open up a wide gap between the two French Brigades and even more serious was that they were delaying Mermet and Ney getting on the table. Eventually Donald managed to roll some decent dice for MP’s and managed to exploit with Simon’s brigade and managed to get the 1st battalion of the 26th line to charge the British 52nd light infantry supported by the 2nd battalion of the 26th. All sides managed to pass all morale and fight or flight tests which resulted in a combat which lasted three bounds before the French finally routed with over 50% casualties. Amazingly not a single French unit wavered at the sight of their friends running and the next move saw further battalions attempting to charge but Donald’s dice rolling wasn’t as good this time round.
Having now fought off the first French attacks John decided now would be a good time to order a withdrawal so he ordered Barclay to hold the right flank with his Brigade while Beckwith started to withdraw with his. Because of the disordering nature of the orchards and vineyards the Allies were defending and the steep hill and rough terrain behind his position John ordered all his troops into skirmish formation to ease movement and they were quickly moving back towards the bridge which was the only way over the rive Coa. This left Barclay in a difficult position to get away with the French still close in front of him and even worse, Ney and Mermet had now arrived on the field so extra MP’s would now be available to the French. Fortunately for Barclay Donald failed a few more charge attempts which gave him time to start to fall back also in skirmish order but Beckwith’s units still weren’t over the bridge yet so Ian had to reform the 52nd to cover the retreat but it all went wrong on the very last move of the night.
Donald again got a good number of MP’s and more importantly for the fist time he got the initiative and sent the Legion du Midi and the Hanovarian Legion forward in skirmish formation to harass the retiring Allies whilst the 2nd battalion 26th line charged the 52nd who promptly rolled a one for morale and having no support and now over 50% casualties promptly routed as did the 1st Cacadores who were beside them. The right wing division of the 95th rifles were made of sterner stuff and ignored the routs and in John’s turn moved over the bridge to form up beside the rest of the Allied troops.

This is where we had to finish for the night and using the victory conditions above the result ended up a win for both sides which left everyone very happy. We fought for eight turns and the French had managed to move for about seven feet over the table and broke two allied units while the Allies had managed to beat off the first French attacks destroying one unit in the process and causing a number of casualties to others.
The two new players who had never played with the rules before managed to pick them up quite easily after the first couple of moves especially command and control, command distance and how shooting works which refutes comments by some people that the rules are complicated.

Cheers
Dave
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi Dave,

nice report:) Someone should have used a camera!
Maybe the artillery observer in Almeida :D

Would you be so kind to PM me the Divison of Mermet so I can see the strength that you used for them? As I have mentiond I intend to raise this Corps.
What source did you use as reference for the strength of the VI.Corps?

Cheers

Günter
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:44 pm

MarechalNey wrote:Hi Dave,

nice report:) Someone should have used a camera!
Yep, always adds that certain something :) .

Darrell.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
John Michael
Corporal
Corporal

Post by John Michael » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:53 am

Hi Dave,

Nice BR, I am curious why you decided not to use cavalry in your OB. The Coa engagement has always captured my imagination, it it is the next scenario I plan to test using the RtE rules.

I am not sure though if your statement
The two new players who had never played with the rules before managed to pick them up quite easily after the first couple of moves especially command and control, command distance and how shooting works which refutes comments by some people that the rules are complicated
is proof that the rules do not have some learning curve. Playing for the first time with people who know the rules well (I believe you were a play tester), is not really the same as trying to interpret the rules on one's own.

I like the rules and they appear to run smoothly once you "get" them, but I did invest considerable effort (with the help of Clarence and some help from this forum) in "getting" there.

I do hope the rules are taken up beyond their geographic roots. I wish I was able to go to Historicon this summer.

Anyway, I always believe it prudent to hear what others are saying, nothing is perfect first time around. I am hoping to see some errata on the ruleset in the near future.

Best wishes and hoping to see more excellent BR's,

John
Yermolov
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Yermolov » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:08 pm

Perhaps Mr. O'brien's comments were directed more at the critiques of rules on places like TMP where some folks complained about the wordiness and/or layout of the rules. Of course there are plenty of fools on TMP who simply like to moan about anything they can.

There is a learning curve to the rules, but it doesn't appear to be an insurmountable one. I think part of it has to do with the trend towards more streamlined sets these days that abstract out many things. I've bought most of the recent Napoleonic/ Horse & Musket releases, and while they all appear to be solid designs, they will appeal to different groups of gamers who want different things out of a Napoleonic wargame.

I currently play the old "Legacy of Glory" rules with my 15mm collection and that is a very detailed set of rules that makes RtE's learning curve look pretty gentle to me. To each their own I guess. I'm starting a 28mm Napoleonic collection with RtE in mind as my 'tactical' game.

Bart
John Michael
Corporal
Corporal

Post by John Michael » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:18 pm

Thanks, I was in no way suggesting that learning of the rules is insurmountable. I am no expert, but I believe I have the grasped the essentials of the rules, although I have not looked at BUA and skirmishers sections yet.

On the face of it, I quite like what the rules have to offer: Big battalions, real skirmishing, the ability to have variable sized battalions and a reasonable way to represent casualties.

I do believe that the rulebook could benefit from some diagrammes and some editing, I am not in a position to comment about the combat mechanisms as I just do not have the wargaming experience.

I agree that TMP can be a pretty vicious place, but buried in the comments there are always some kernels of insight, so I would not disregard them out of hand.

I would like to see the use of these rules spread, that is why I put so much effort in my recent AAR.

John
Yermolov
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Yermolov » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:46 pm

Hi John,

I have no beef with you... your AAR on your blog was great. Thanks for sharing it. For what it's worth my comments about the relative learning curve with the rules were directed at the gaming public in large, not you personally.

The point I was trying to make is that from what I can see the rules pendulum has swung towards the simple/streamlined/abstracted end of the spectrum and has been there for some time, so any time people post on public fora like TMP regarding the more detailed sets of rules you're bound to get a clown come out and tear into them.

I like what the rules depict as well and am building a force for it. I'm just slow and starting from scratch. :)
John Michael
Corporal
Corporal

Post by John Michael » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:23 pm

No worries, I did not believe your comments were aimed at me.

Good luck with building up your forces,

John
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:30 am

MarechalNey wrote:Would you be so kind to PM me the Divison of Mermet so I can see the strength that you used for them? As I have mentiond I intend to raise this Corps.
What source did you use as reference for the strength of the VI.Corps?
Günter
Gunter, sorry for taking so long to get back to you but family and other commitments over the weekend seemed to get in the way. Here is the OOB for Mermet's Division that we were going to use in the game. We hadn't diced up the quality of the Brigadiers before the game which is why they still have no rating. All commander and troop ratings are purely my own from reading how the various units had performed in action. Please feel free to alter them if you disagree with my assumptions but the two brigadiers in Loisons Division had been diced up.

Mermet’s Division.
General de Division Mermet, Division commander, Competent 0

Labasse, Brigade commander, We hadn’t diced for his quality.
25th Legere, 1st battalion, 44 figures, Drilled/Elite.
25th Legere, 2nd battalion, 40 figures, Drilled/Elite.
27th Line, 1st battalion, 32 figures, Drilled.
27th Line, 2nd battalion, 32 figures, Drilled.
27th Line, 3rd battalion, 30 figures, Recruits.

Bardet, Brigade commander, We hadn’t diced for his quality.
50th Line, 1st battalion, 36 figures, Drilled.
50th Line, 2nd battalion, 36 figures, Drilled.
50th Line, 3rd battalion, 32 figures, Recruits.
59th Line, 1st battalion, 30 figures, Drilled.
59th Line, 2nd battalion, 30 figures, Drilled.
59th Line, 3rd battalion, 30 figures, Recruits.

The sources I used for the OOB's was taken from the Nafziger list of the French army at the Siege of Ciuudad-Rodrigo June 1810 (the month before Coa) and the siege forces at Almeide August 1810, the month after the action.

Somone else asked why I didn't include any cavalry? I did mention in the player briefings about the cavalry but I forgot to mention that the French did have one squadron of 3rd Hussars which I rated as 7 figures strong and Drilled. They didn't do anything in our refight which is why I forgot about them but they did better in the actual battle sneaking behind the Allied left flank and attacking the retreating troops. I also hadn't mentioned the French artillery mainly because I assumed everyone would take it for granted that Divisonal artillery would be available.

It's a pity we didn't have a camera between us but perhaps the next time?
Hope this helps.
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:41 am

John Michael wrote: I am not sure though if your statement
The two new players who had never played with the rules before managed to pick them up quite easily after the first couple of moves especially command and control, command distance and how shooting works which refutes comments by some people that the rules are complicated
is proof that the rules do not have some learning curve. Playing for the first time with people who know the rules well (I believe you were a play tester), is not really the same as trying to interpret the rules on one's own.
John, the guys in question were experienced gamers who hadn't even looked at the rules never mind read them but after explaining the basics to them they both picked them up immediately and you are correct that if they had read them in isolation before having a game then they might not have picked them up right away. I always feel that I understand something quicker when someone explains them to me in a game situation rather than trying to figure things out for my self and ending up making false assumptions. It's the same for me if I get a new computer programme then try to read the manual on how to run it. It might as well be written in Chinese then somone who has experience of using it explains simply what you do and it seems much simpler.

I have also replied to your question of cavalry on my answer to Gunter.

Cheers
Dave