Question on Column of Companies

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Yermolov
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Question on Column of Companies

Post by Yermolov » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:52 am

Hi All,

Giving the rulebook another read-through before embarking on a night of painting and have a question regarding column of companies. The description of the formation on page 53 indicates that to encourage use of this formation Barry has made it move better and make it easier to maneuver and deploy from it.

Other than mandating units on READY orders must be formed in Column of Companies, I don't see any other special rules regarding this formation. Am I missing something, or is the main benefit that units in READY formation pay less MP's to switch orders?

Just looking for a sanity check. :D

Thanks,

Bart
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:48 pm

That's pretty much it Bart becasue that's it was used for!
Not a fighting formation but very easy to deploy into other useful formations. When you are pushed to come up with a few spare MPs in a tough situation you'll see the immediate value of column of companies :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Yermolov
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Yermolov » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:04 pm

Thanks Barry!

The way the rules read I was expecting to see some sort of reduced MP cost for single unit FORM orders if in Column of Companies but didn't see anything so I thought I'd double-check.

Bart
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:00 am

Bart, you'll also find in smaller games (with a single brigade and thus only one DAv per side) that you may want to use Column of Companies for advancing onto the board rather than Column of March, because it's much cheaper to deploy into fighting formations. Of course, in games of this size, you can simply deploy in fighting formations anyway since opponents are likely to be aware of one another at the short ranges such engagements play out...