Rallying up routers

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Raymondh
Private
Private

Rallying up routers

Post by Raymondh » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:20 am

Playing a game with my son today and we came across something that I need to have clarified.:

2 x French attack columns charge a wavering British line (Wellington would spin in his grave!). The British Line routs after one round of comabat and buggers off 13" The French hold their position and have to form as their next action.

My questions are.

1) At what point in the next move can the British test to rally?

2) Do they have to have an officer present to do so?

3) If they fail, do they keep on running?

Sorry if this is all a bit obvious but I thought it would be better to get this staright from the horses mouth so to spaeak.

Cheers

Ray
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:51 am

Ray, the errant British battalion would try to rally on step 13 of the Play Sequence, but note that it cannot rally in the same turn it routed. In your example, if the French had the initiative and acted in the 'first half' of the turn ten (just to make up a number), they can't attempt to rally until turn eleven.

You do not need to have an officer present, but the Resolve bonus would help ensure a successful attempt (the officer must be attached to give the bonus, not merely within command range). Otherwise it is assumed the unit's officers and NCO's are attempting to halt the early retirement from the field. Note that it requires MP's to attempt to rally and if the unit is out of command distance from an officer, the cost will be double.

If they fail (or you don't have the MPs to spare) they keep running in step 14 of the Play Sequence!
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Rallying up routers

Post by obriendavid » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:48 pm

Raymondh wrote: 2 x French attack columns charge a wavering British line (Wellington would spin in his grave!). The British Line routs after one round of comabat and buggers off 13" ]
Raymond, I hope you remembered that only one column actually attacks and the other one acts as a supporting unit and that both needed individual MP's to actually charge?

Cheers
Dave
Raymondh
Private
Private

Post by Raymondh » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:55 pm

Thanks Clarence and Dave.

That clears things up nicely. In answer to your question Dave, yes I did remember that only one battalion actually "fights"

Cheers

Ray