Shooting at chargers

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
flintlocque

Shooting at chargers

Post by flintlocque » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:33 pm

An infantry battalion have formed square under charge threat from a hussars unit the hussars are on orders to attack the enemy cavalry just behind the square to the side the hussars test to charge. The cavalry test to react to the hussars and to role counter charge. Now can the squares shoot at the hussars as they gallop past? The only rules i can find in the rule book are for brigade support fire what if the chargers / shooters are from different brigades?
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:46 pm

The infantry can't shoot at the cavalry as they ride past but the cavalry must stay at least 3" away from the square and as there is no manoeuvering during the actual charge, it has to be in a straight line so could the cavalry still contact the enemy? The cavalry behind the line would also have had a charge reaction test to take and if they had been on attack orders then could have launched a counter attack of their own.
Without seeing how the units were set up it's difficult to be too specific.

Hope this helps?
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:54 am

I should have added in my reply that if the Hussars cannot charge the enemy cavalry then they have no option but to charge the square.

Cheers
Dave
flintlocque

Post by flintlocque » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:00 pm

I thought the square couldn't shoot the hussars , it just seems odd the square wouldn't take the oppertunity to do so.
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Obviously the square telepathically knows that the enemy cavalry are not charging them, so choose to reserve their fire. :lol:
Bryce
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:04 pm

Flintlocque.. that is very much a wargamer's perspective and not a military one. Units were not prone to take opportunistic pot shots at passing targets which did not threaten them directly. They would act under strict orders, conserve ammo, be ready for direct threats against themselves and generally try and have as calm and ordered a life as possible amidst the mayhem.
R2E is designed to get units behaving as close to historical norms as possible and avoid gameyness :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
flintlocque

Post by flintlocque » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:07 pm

Thanks Guys

They were my cavalry so I didn't allow the shooting anyway was just curious of the reasoning To defend my stance of not allowing the shooting. :D
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:10 pm

Most wargamers seem to be of the opinion that any Tom, Dick or Harry can just start shooting whenever they like. They forget that most firing is very tightly controlled to obtain maximum effect and not waste ammunition.
Cheers
Dave