New Project

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
toggy
Major General
Major General

New Project

Post by toggy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi guys,
Following on from the Waterloo weekender I have decided to attempt to collect Reille's 2nd Corps,Kellerman's 3rd cavalry Corps & Guyot's guard heavy cavalry Division.
This should only comprise of around 1100 infantry & 350 cavalry plus 50 guns (on a 1:1 ratio, can't remember what we used for the weekender,help please Barry).
So this will certainly be this years project,should be interesting to see if painting boredom sets in, although I think there might be a few greatcoats on show.
A friend at work is going to set me up on flickr, so hopefully some pics soon.
Bob
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:00 pm

Go for it Bob!! :wink:

If you are looking for any advice I am happy to be at your service. I would recommend setting some little goals on the way. Think big but act small. Play with the stuff as you go along and it'll keep you enthusiastic for doing the next bit.

Look forward to seeing your output 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:23 pm

Thanks Barry,
As I said bit unsure as to how many artillery models required,but thought that the ratio we had at the weekender seemed right.

Agree that need to begin with small numbers & gradually go for meglamania!

Regarding playing,would love to if Ican find an opponent in Lincolnshire, Notts or North Cambridgeshire areas.

Cheers Bob
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:56 pm

Bob,

The ratio for guns is one model = two pieces, hence an eight gun battery of six eight-pounders and two howitzers will translate to three gun models and one howitzer model. Crew are really added as decorations.

For figures it is 20/1. Therefore a six-hundred strong infantry battalion can be represented by five bases of six models...

...which can then be put into square if approached by cavalry. :lol:

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Churchill
General
General

New Project.

Post by Churchill » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:12 am

Ray
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:41 pm

Bob.

I am going to make a suggestion so please forgive me if I sound like an old fart doling out redundant advice.

Why don't you only purchase a brigade at a time or even one regiment of infantry and one regiment of cavalry?

Reason I say this is from previous persomal experience of buying a heap of metal and thinking, "God, I'm never going to finish this". Currently I am working my way through a 1685 French army and am purchasing four battalions at a time. I take one battalion out and paint that to completion before I even think about the next one. It seems to be working.

Hope this helps.

Warmest regards,

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:12 pm

Looking for some help regarding Bachelu's 5th division particularly the make up of the 1st brigade.

Seems to be some confusion as to whether the 2nd Leger or 3rd Ligne were in the brigade at the time of the battle.

I know the Waterloo companion states the 3rd but several other authors including John Franklin , mention the 2nd Leger moving from another division.

As usual any assistance greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bob
Ed Youngstrom
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ed Youngstrom » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:51 pm

According to Bowden's Armies at Waterloo:

"On 10 June, the 3rd Regiment of the Line was transferred from the 1st Brigade/6th Infantry Division to the 1st Brigade/5th Infantry Division where it served during the Waterloo campaign. The 3rd Regiment of the Line replaced the 2nd Light Infantry Regiment which was transferred on 10 June from the 1st Brigade/5th Infantry Division to the 1st Brigade/6th Infantry Division."

5th Division = Bachelu
6th Division = Jerome

Ed
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:13 pm

Hi Ed

Thanks for that, makes things a lot clearer now.

Bob