RtE in other scales.

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Location: Married with Children........in Strathaven, Scotland.

RtE in other scales.

Post by big-gazza » Tue May 11, 2010 7:09 pm

Chaps,
had this idea rattling about inside my head for a while and thought I'd finally run it by you.

Now, as most who have met me at a show will no I've been wanting to start playing Naps for a while. As well as the cost and painting time there has been another problem holding me back. That is the problem of space.

Alas the only place I have to play regular games would be a club that has 6x4 tables. This just seems to small for the game.

So heres my solution.

Play the game using 15mm figures and change all measurements in the game from inches to cm.

I was thinking about using the medium FOW bases for the infantry with 6 figures on each.

So what do you think?

Will it be playable on a 6x4?

Any suggestions for good 15mm Naps? (I was thinking about AB)

Thanks

Gazza

P.s. Have I brought this up on the forum before? Thought I had but I couldn't find it.
Captain Chook
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Captain Chook » Tue May 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi Gazza,
I thought you had brough it up before.
The AB figures are by far the best sculpted figures but are more expensive. They are more 18mm than 15 and so slightly larger bases are needed.
I have made some suggestions for movement rates in 15mm in the post "Playing in 15/18mm". The reasons for not simply changing to cm are given, although one could keep movement in cm (1:1) and just extend the command radii by approx 30%.

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:46 pm

I'd be able to play you in 15mm Gary.. I have a shedload of stuff.. All AB as mentioned by Captain Chook
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Location: Married with Children........in Strathaven, Scotland.

Post by big-gazza » Tue May 11, 2010 8:25 pm

Hi,
thanks for the replys.

Nice figures CC.

Barry - What size of bases do you use ? (inf, cav, art)

Thanks

Gazza
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Gary,

I have gone for larger bases in some cases ie 40 x 40mm with 8 figures per base. In other units less large. I will show you some of the stuff but look in the Napoleonic in 15mm Gallery to see some FoW bases used for skirmishers.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Captain Chook
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Captain Chook » Tue May 11, 2010 9:41 pm

Topmost figures were kindly painted for me by VB who has a grittier style to me. I tend to paint a little "cleaner" - perhaps more parade ground look.
The battle is actually a GdB game from a few months back. Terrain/buildings and Austrians are all VBs, the French are mine.

ABs are very easy to paint but detailed.